• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

12-volt Television and Gear-- [update: gear gone]

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have a 12-volt LCD flatscreen combined Television/DVD player, about 14", with hoistable circular antenna gizmo, cables, manual, remote and a quality swingout bracket.

It all works, or did when the PO demonstrated it for me, and looks about five years old and "modern."

Available free if you want to pick it up at California Yacht Club (Marina del Rey, CA)

I don't know what this crap costs to buy, but I guess I could be persuaded to ship it if somebody sent me a box.

[update: Local sailor taking up the offer]

Last edited:

koltrast

12 V tv

if you are willing to ship it to Everett Wa. I will pay the shipping. you can contact me back channel if you like.
my slip is just across from Thelonious I. beautiful boat.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
my slip is just across from Thelonious

Wow! Nice to "meet" you?

Which slip are you in? I'm on South-D, I know there are a number of 27s and 29s along the way to the end, plus there's what looks like another 32 straight across from me on C-dock. We should have our own mini-rendezvous!

Bruce

koltrast

Hi Bruce;
I'm in E59 central just across the thru-way from you. When you first got to your slip I came over to look at the legend, and I have to say she lives up to everything I have heard about her and seen in photos. Great buy.

David

Last edited:

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
[QUOTE=Christian Williams

"I don't know what this crap costs to buy,"

haha, Christian, I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down. We haven't had a tv in our house since 2001. I can't imagine one on a boat (where I go to get away). Free yourselves!

fool

Member III
Free yourselves!

Free to watch all of Ken Burn's Jazz, New York, and Baseball series by episode?

Perhaps the La Scala Collection of opera?

BBC Planet Earth series?

When I was young, we had a small 12" black and white TV in the front hall foyer. A great fern in a basket was hung above it. The round table it sat upon was painted green and had a small shelf beneath burdened with Scientific American and Nat'l Geographic. Sunday's were extra special if The Wonderful World of Disney was playing a special with Jacques Cousteau, or similar, as we were allowed to carry our dinner plates into the front room to feed our young bellies and minds at the same time.

When The Wizard of Oz would air once a year we were allowed to watch that too. Being a B&W set our parents always reminded us when Dorothy landed in OZ the movie turned to color. They continued the non-color commentary with the non-yellow brick road and of course the horse of a non-different color. Those freakin' flyin' monkeys always scared the crap out of me. And while we might start the beginning of the movie slack jawed and three feet in front of the small screen, by the time they were on scene we were on the opposite side of the room and shoving for cover behind my dad's arm chair. To this day I still duck for cover every time I see a freakin' flyin' monkey, "da noive."

The moon landing, on the other hand, was in black and white because..well, the moon is black and white too. "Get up" they said, "you'll want to see this." So we did, slack jawed from three feet away, not realizing what we were really watching was the Earth becoming flat again. And the splash downs, and the parades, and the funerals of presidents with boots mounted backwards in stirrups on a black horse.

Mom watered the fern twice a week. Sometimes with a great stainless steel mixing bowl balanced atop the tv to catch the overflow, sometimes not. She'd sit in the dining room reading or working on her PhD when we'd tune into the Smother's Brothers, or Laugh In on those occasions when our homework was completed in a timely manner. TV reception gradually degraded over time as the watering successfully eroded away the inner workings of that poor television despite great feats of gymnastics accomplished while trying to coax the tuner and antenna into making sense out of the online snow (think the green number flow from the Matrix, only in black and white and much tinier print.)

One day the TV was DOA, and the word became print. I don't recall mourning the loss and don't recall a replacement for many years. When there was one it wasn't much bigger but was in color. And so was Oz, and so was that horse, but those freakin' monkeys hadn't changed a bit. When the towers came down that was on TV too, and the world became flatter still.

Freedom isn't in the technologies we use or avoid. Freedom is how we use those technologies and the liberties they afford.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
A friend, whose boat I frequented, back in the 90's, once demonstrated that from the vicinity of Haro Straight, through judicious tuning to the signals from different cities, it was possible to watch "Star Trek" reruns all day long on Saturdays. I'm not quite sure how he figured that out in the first place...