• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pulpit Seat

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Last week I helped a friend sail his Tartan 37 enroute to the Bahamas. As we were motoring out of the bayou we heard a weird noise that caused us to stop and consider all possible problems. Was it a crab pot, a line around the shaft, a bad cutlass bearing? The captain anchored and dove in. The prop, shaft, bearing and zincs were all good. As he climbed aboard, we began removing items from the starboard cockpit lazerete to gain access to his stuffing box. One of the items he handed me was a piece of vanished driftwood with two small cleats attached. He said it was his pulpit seat he made last year while in the Bahamas. Very interesting.

If anyone has made one for their Ericson I'd like to see it. I am going to make one myself. His is lashed with three holes per side finished at the cleats so as to be removable when anchoring.

BTW, the noise turned out to be a loose refrigerator compressor belt. We tightened it and were sailing at 7 knots on a close reach with the 8 ' centerboard down. Delightful! If we only would have put our foulies on before the two waves broke over the bow and doused us with cold water in air temps in the 40's, it wouldhave been a perfectly wonderful offshore experience. Lol!:0

Last edited:

CSMcKillip

We have one just like this one.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 370

CSMcKillip

Ahh, guess I need to pull my head out and read,lol.
sorry bout that.

where did it sit on the bow? Isn't the forstay right in the way?

chris