• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Paper Charts - Where best to get them

lonokai

Member III
I am seeking to purchase some paper (water resistant/waterproof) charts to have on my boat....I am new to sailing and would like to learn about navigation without all the electronics.....I have no problem with using a small GPS....but the last thing I want/need is schlepping an iPad on board the boat, or the expense of a chart plotter.....

I'm looking for Southern California, Marina del Rey, Newport Beach, San Diego, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Catalina, etc....

With the USCG dropping the requirement for paper charts (Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circular, NVIC 01-16) , I suspect they COULD become harder to obtain. As a visual/tactile guy, this saddens me.....I love technology as much as the next guy/gal, but I'm into sailing for the "analog" experience of it. I'm in front a computer enough....I dont need it while I'm sailing. (Does that sound prima donnish?)

Emerald

I am seeking to purchase some paper (water resistant/waterproof) charts to have on my boat....I am new to sailing and would like to learn about navigation without all the electronics.....I have no problem with using a small GPS....but the last thing I want/need is schlepping an iPad on board the boat, or the expense of a chart plotter.....

I'm looking for Southern California, Marina del Rey, Newport Beach, San Diego, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Catalina, etc....

With the USCG dropping the requirement for paper charts (Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circular, NVIC 01-16) , I suspect they COULD become harder to obtain. As a visual/tactile guy, this saddens me.....I love technology as much as the next guy/gal, but I'm into sailing for the "analog" experience of it. I'm in front a computer enough....I dont need it while I'm sailing. (Does that sound prima donnish?)

Agree completely, and also I find paper charts are great for collaboration with crew and guests - nothing like passing around a real chart pointing at the "here" and "there" to get it to click with folks. I feel there is real value to be able to navigate the old fashion way with charts, taking bearings etc. - when the batteries are dead/you took the lightning strike etc. and the electronics don't work.... Also, it's really hard for a paper chart to suffer the equivalent of a blue screen of death - just make sure you use water proof inks or a laser printer if you do it yourself and print charts from some of the download links that have been posted.

lonokai

Member III
Found map

While doing some cleaning and waiting for meeting with my surveyor to show up I ran across a waterproof map inside one of the cabin storage areas....Yay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think West Marine still stocks our local charts in our MDR store.

And to expand the analog experience, Minney's Yacht Surplus in Costa Mesa has hundreds of random old paper charts cheap in a barrel.