• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E30 Plus purchasing advice

Carl W

I am considering an E30 Plus, which would be a big step up from my S2 7.0 and a completely different sailing experience. I will be sailing mainly on the Great Lakes, with only a week or two at a time on the boat. The admiral is not fond of sailing so I am single handing a lot of the time. I have read about the mast step problems and some cracking, but what about keel bolts and the thousands of other problems associated with a 30 to 40 year old boat. To my knowledge the boat has spent most of her life in fresh water. I would appreciate hearing from the 30 plus owners, both pros and cons.
Carl

older boat owner

I have a 1983 Ericson 35, have owned since new. Also in salt water all these years. If a boat is taken care of....will last. Biggest problems are water leaks, you MUST fix immediately.
Things like keel bolts, chain plates must be clean from corrosion. The rigging free of crakes in the fittings.
But rigging and gear can always be fixed.

My cousin in upper Michigan sails the great lakes and being in fresh water helps the condition of a boat overall. Plus they come out for winter storage.
Look for one and buy it!...Ericson's are great boats.

Hilco Woudstra on Sketcher

I am considering an E30 Plus, which would be a big step up from my S2 7.0 and a completely different sailing experience. I will be sailing mainly on the Great Lakes, with only a week or two at a time on the boat. The admiral is not fond of sailing so I am single handing a lot of the time. I have read about the mast step problems and some cracking, but what about keel bolts and the thousands of other problems associated with a 30 to 40 year old boat. To my knowledge the boat has spent most of her life in fresh water. I would appreciate hearing from the 30 plus owners, both pros and cons.
Carl

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Carl,

I grew up by Lake Ontario, so know what it's like to sail that lake, though I don't know the other Great Lakes well. I now live on Vancouver Island where we have owned our 1984 Ericson 30+ for the past ten years, sailing the Gulf Islands, San Juan Islands, Desolation Sound and Sunshine Coast areas. We owned two other boats before we bought our E30+.

I sail our boat year round, single-handing it about 70% of the time as my wife doesn't like sailing from October through April, and I often go out on my own in the summer time as well, often for a few days at a time to anchor out in the various bays here. The E30+ is an ideal boat for this purpose as it is strong enough to handle winds (I've sailed in 35 knot winds and six foot waves here, though not always by choice!), yet is small and light enough to sail well in light winds and to manoevre in tight marinas. She is very responsive and forgiving--can you tell I love our boat? :)

I just had ours surveyed for insurance purposes, and both this survey and the one I had done five years ago had no findings/recommendations for repair, which I think is almost unheard of in the marine industry. The surveyor couldn't say enough positives about this boat and strongly advised that I never sell her--"she's so beautiful, such a honey" he said!

As with any older boat, you should get her surveyed and check everything carefully, as any boat that has not been maintained well will show problems. Areas to look for on this boat are the mast step/compression post--in ours a boatyard had previously installed a metal reinforcing plate inside the boat under the mast step to support and spread the load a bit better; chainplates and related bulkheads should be checked for leaks and resulting rot; the ports eventually leak allowing water to seep in behind the teak which surrounds the ports; the anchor locker bedding can leak, allowing water in the bow area to seep along the V-berth and behind the vinyl eventually showing up in the holding tank area or the head--easy fix, but nevertheless a potential problem; the cabin top traveller (depending on which year E30+ you're considering) can leak and run down across the headliner.

From a functional perspective, my only criticism is that there is a bit of a shortage in storage, even though there are lockers under all the seats, but some Ericsons have more shelving and drawers. The quarterberth takes up the space of the starboard cockpit locker, so although the port locker is very large, there is nevertheless only one large cockpit locker and a couple small stern lockers.

I have never regretted buying our boat. I love how she sails, and our guests and others often comment on her beauty.

If you have any other specific questions, let us know. Others will likely also comment on these boats.

Frank

woolamaloo

Member III
Come be an Ericson owner

Carl,

I bought my 30+ three seasons ago before I found this site. The owners who have had their Ericsons for 20+ years (including some original owners) have completed many of the same upgrades. So far, on the 30+, most owners have had to rebed their anchor pan, rotate the main hatch 180 degrees to better accommodate the vang, and rebed the ports. It seems like most of us have had some cracking around the chainplates. A few have had leaks there but most have been okay. Several have changed their skupper hose arraignment (but I don't exactly understand what they've done). I've never heard of one of those owners bemoaning their choice of an Ericson.

Like Frank mentioned, the 30+ seems short on storage. It's certainly the biggest flaw that I found early on with my boat. But, now that I've had the boat a few years and the previous owner's things have been replaced with my own, I realize that it's not horrible - if you're organized. And as a fellow Great Lakes single-hander, I think it's a great compromise between having plenty of room but not too much boat to handle. She just sails so well.

Besides loving my 30+, being part of this Ericson forum is a delight. I have never seen such a troll-free online community. No fake arguments. No one is itching for a fight here. Opinions are offered with intelligence and good humor. And, you can actually find information about the minutiae about your boat.

We recently had a scare when a forum member sold his Ericson 32! We were greatly relieved when he bought an Ericson 38 soon after. Hopefully, you'll like your Ericson as much as we like ours.

Jim
Woolamaloo
1985 E30+ Hull #685

Carl W

Weather delays

Thanks to all of you who have replied. I am really glad to have found such a great owners site. One of the problems with living on or near Lake Superior is the winter. With that said, I will not be able to get out to see any of the "local" E30 plus's for at least a few more weeks. In the meantime I have been doing non-stop research and talking with brokers. Sad to say that some of them seem far more pushy than knowledgeable about the boats they are selling
icon8.gif
. If any of you see a listing for one that looks good and is on the Great Lakes, let me know. Thanks again and I will keep you all posted.