• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Holding Tank/Head Removal Ericson 27

Glyn Judson

Keep that head smelling sweet for ever.

Mark, Glad to share my potion, here it is:

Head care.
A. Make 50/50 mix of muriatic acid and
water, (2 quarts in a plastic bucket).
B. Pour 1 qt. into a dry bowl and let stand for
15 minutes and flush down.
C. Repeat with second quart as above.
D. Flush tank thoroughly* and add 1 oz. per 10 gallons of
tank capacity of Odorlos solution to tank through the bowl.

It's important that this be done at a pump out station and that nothing gets discharged into the ocean or freshwater body when initially cleansing the system. *Flush the system starting from the head, then to the holding tank with two full holding tank changes of fresh water before proceeding. Our 13-gallon holding tank is quite happy to get the 10-gallon recommended dose of Odorlos liquid or crystals, we've used both over the years and both work equally well. The best part is that one needn't buy a new head, replaces hoses or holding tank because nature friendly Odorlos REALLY WORKS! Look for improvement to begin within a day or two and for it to continue until all odors are gone. As with any head system, it's important to keep the tank from sitting full for long periods. We can spend days at a time while staying aboard at Catalina Island before needing to pump out, and we always flush out and recharge with Odorlos when returning home. Note: It's not necessary to use muriatic acid every time, we acid clean the system, maybe once a year if not longer. If you see mineral deposits forming in the bowl, it's probably time to do the acid flush again. Oh, did I mention that Odorlos is dirt cheap? Fair winds and following seas plus a sweet smelling head system, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We went through a similar experience. I was fortunate that a fuel dock worker pumped 14 gallons of diesel into our starboard water tank! The yard paid for the replacement and while they were in there I purchased a new holding tank and asked them to put it in at the same time (they're in the same locker on the 32/200).

I then replaced all the sanitary lines, the head and even the overboard Whale Gusher for a complete new system. I then read Peggy Halls book about keeping the smell out.

We have owned mororhomes homes for the past 15 years and when dumping the holding tank always refill it with water twice to flush it out. I had a special hose fitting installed on the tank so flushing with water is a breeze.

Our marina provides free weekly pump out in our slip but they do not take the time to flush it with water so for the past two years, we stop at another marina on the way back, pay $5 and have the tank emptied, flushed with water and repeat, twice. Then a few ounces of Oder-Loss..

I also clean the head area with bleach and a hose. It smells cleaner than a hospital in there!

Last edited:

lonokai

Member III
When all was said and done, I eventually went in one day, "cut, sawed, and ripped out" everything associated with that bad-smelling head.

It turns out, there was a crack and a leak in the holding tank. And, I believe the PO never really paid much attention to this are of the boat. (Yuk!)

In my zeal to get the hoses out, I was actually sawing an area of hose and the saw ripped through my finger...about 1/4 inch. So, there was an infection scare for a week or so. It was a stinky, disgusting mess to clean it all out and then scrub things down, but I am able to spend time on the boat now without thinking about that. The replacement porta-potty works just fine, and I am satisfied. Plus, I don't have to worry about yet another system of hoses, smells, etc..

I said this before, but this forum is indispensable and provides information, advice and, yes even support which I feel helps us newbies immensely.

To other projects. Here, here!