• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine Issues Yanmar

lonokai

Member III
I just purchased an Ericson 27 with an 8-9 year old Yanmar 3cyl engine. While out sailing, the CW Temp warning alarm went off. Since I am not the most mechanically inclined....can any tell me what some of the causes are for such a warning and if the impellor has anything to do with this? The previous owner gave me an impellor and said I might need to replace it. Also, the fuel may be several years old...shoud I have the system flushed? Or is using old fuel OK?

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Causes

Were you motor sailing or just motoring? Definitely check the amount of cooling water being discharged. Could be a worn impeller. Could be a partially blocked heat exchanger. If so equipped. Also could be a partially blocked intake, mixing elbow, muffler or collapsed hose. Check your sea strainer. If so equipped. Time to go looking. Start with the easy stuff.

Last edited:

lonokai

Member III
Engine issues (overheating)

I was actually just using the engine while in my local harbor returning to the slip. We had just finished sailing and I turned it on. Within a few minutes the alarm went off.

Its a new boat for me and my first, so hopefully I will be able to fix it quickly.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I have a single cylinder Yanmar in my E-27. I agree with all the possibilities Al mentioned but it's also possible the thermostat might be bad. Mine is raw water cooled so I can't tell you about heat exchangers but I do know they need to be boiled out from time to time. Check the easy stuff first like the sea strainer for visible debris and make sure water is flowing freely out the exhaust. If the previous owner says the impeller might need to be changed I would go ahead and do that. Make sure to put new gaskets in the water pump as well. Good Luck.

lonokai

Member III
Arrgh! No exhaust water!

I went to the boat this morning and started the engine. It spurted about half a cup of water and then nothing....maybe some whitish, thin, wispy smoke.....I turned it off in anticipation of bringing a mech to her to give the engine a once over before I attempt any repairs myself.... I downloaded a copy of the 3GM30F manual at Christian's suggestion....very helpful...I think I will print it and highlight the english portions.....So...I will be learning about diesels......he he.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I went to the boat this morning and started the engine. It spurted about half a cup of water and then nothing....maybe some whitish, thin, wispy smoke.....I turned it off in anticipation of bringing a mech to her to give the engine a once over before I attempt any repairs myself.... I downloaded a copy of the 3GM30F manual at Christian's suggestion....very helpful...I think I will print it and highlight the english portions.....So...I will be learning about diesels......he he.

I'm guessing that impeller in your water pump has disintegrated. Keep us posted about what you find.

e38 owner

Member III
Suggestion
Whach the mechanic replace the impeller and check for bits and pieces upstream
Always keep a spare.
It is something you may need to do on your own one day.
Change a mans impeller keep his engine from overheating for a day
Teach a man to change the impeller keep an engine from overheating for life

lonokai

Member III
RE: Watch the Mech

Suggestion
Whach the mechanic replace the impeller and check for bits and pieces upstream
Always keep a spare.
It is something you may need to do on your own one day.
Change a mans impeller keep his engine from overheating for a day
Teach a man to change the impeller keep an engine from overheating for life

Yes, will do....the impeller is unfortunately reversed, meaning it faces away from the operator...so there's a lot of stuff to loosen (and keep track of) ....I have read about a kit which reverses this to have the impeller face me...but I'll have to check further to see if the extra inches will prevent closure of the engine cover.

Glyn Judson

Possible overheating issues.

Lonokai, Al, Jeff and others have all made good suggestions, not the least of which is inspecting the impeller. If in fact that is the culprit and vanes are missing, go further by removing the front cover of the heat exchanger to see if the pieces are interfering with any of the cooling tubes (honestly, a simple job). Pick out any you might find. Next check your fresh water circulating hose from the centrifugal pump that leads up to the front of the heat exchanger. There's a chance that all you have is an air lock possibly caused by your previous experience with overheating. This is a really simple fix and you might just want to make that your #1 thing to check before all the others. Remove the hose from the front of the heat exchanger and look to see that it's full of liquid. Failing that, pour tap water into it as you hold it vertically until it fills to the top of the hose. Replace the hose and test to see if you have water flow, that might just do the trick. Backtracking to the impeller, two bolts hold the pump body to the engine block and the tensioner while five or six small bolts hold the cover plate on, not a hard job at all. Just BE EXTRA CARFUL not to drop any of that hardware into the hidden depths of the bilge. Pry the impeller out using two slot screwdrivers at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock or whatever time you choose as long as they are six hours apart. Then put everything back in place in reverse order. Good luck, you CAN do it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

hodo

Member III
No Water

Another place to check is at the mixing elbow, where the seawater from the cooler mixes with the exhaust. Not sure about Yanmars, but Westerbeke and Universal have this issue.

Harold.

lonokai

Member III
RESULTS: Fixed..with explanation * PROGNOSIS: Excellent, long life predicted

I met Mr. Martin Ball, a mechanic out of Long Beach, who's an independent operator. He came aboard, we chatted for a few minutes and he gave me an estimate of the costs. (We'll keep that part to ourselves). I told him to go ahead and proceeded to watch a Master Mechanic at work. He looked at the engine and gave me his opinion of its condition, (as far as it just standing there without being started). He then, quickly removed and disassembled the impeller pump. The impeller wheel was missing one of its fins.
attachment.php

The impeller pump unit itself was not in the best of condition, but he suggested we try to clean it off and use it and see how it goes. More on that later... I showed him the impeller that the PO left for me along with the gasket. Unfortunately, the current impeller pump uses a rubber ring, not a paper gasket. And, the impeller itself is of a different design. Martin had one with him...so the other one is headed for ebay.
attachment.php
attachment.php

The exhaust elbow was totally clogged with gunk. It required a weld to the new one...so Martin drove back to Long Beach and got that done.
attachment.php

After re-assembling everything the exchanger, he gave me a lesson on how to put the impeller pump back on. We started up the engine and I was never so happy to see water spurting out of something before in my life. (What a goofball!)

Unfortunately, and Martin had warned me about this, the impeller pump has a very slight leak. Martin suggested running the engine under load for a while and see if the seal doesn't take. It didnt, so Martin is giving me the name of his rebuilder and I will drive to long beach and give it to them for a couple days, then reinstall. To be safe, I made sure the seacock was off before I left the boat. I havent received the bill yet, but I learned a lot and I met a good mechanic whom I can trust.

attachment.php

My Engine (Yanmar 3gm30F)factual error

Attachments

• IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Tomwine

Member II
Martin Bells web site or contact info

Is there a chance you can post contact information for Mr Bell. I would love to have a good contact for a mechanic in the long beach area.
Tom

I met Mr. Martin Ball, a mechanic out of Long Beach, who's an independent operator. He came aboard, we chatted for a few minutes and he gave me an estimate of the costs. (We'll keep that part to ourselves). I told him to go ahead and proceeded to watch a Master Mechanic at work. He looked at the engine and gave me his opinion of its condition, (as far as it just standing there without being started). He then, quickly removed and disassembled the impeller pump. The impeller wheel was missing one of its fins.
attachment.php

The impeller pump unit itself was not in the best of condition, but he suggested we try to clean it off and use it and see how it goes. More on that later... I showed him the impeller that the PO left for me along with the gasket. Unfortunately, the current impeller pump uses a rubber ring, not a paper gasket. And, the impeller itself is of a different design. Martin had one with him...so the other one is headed for ebay.
attachment.php
attachment.php

The exhaust elbow was totally clogged with gunk. It required a weld to the new one...so Martin drove back to Long Beach and got that done.
attachment.php

After re-assembling everything the exchanger, he gave me a lesson on how to put the impeller pump back on. We started up the engine and I was never so happy to see water spurting out of something before in my life. (What a goofball!)

Unfortunately, and Martin had warned me about this, the impeller pump has a very slight leak. Martin suggested running the engine under load for a while and see if the seal doesn't take. It didnt, so Martin is giving me the name of his rebuilder and I will drive to long beach and give it to them for a couple days, then reinstall. To be safe, I made sure the seacock was off before I left the boat. I havent received the bill yet, but I learned a lot and I met a good mechanic whom I can trust.

attachment.php

My Engine (Yanmar 3gm30F)factual error

frick

Member III
You have a Johnson Raw Water Pump

Good news you have a johnson water pump and johnson impellers are much easier to locate that the genuine Yanmar Part.

To my eye its looks like a 2gm20f Yanmar and not the 3gm.. but I only looking at photos. The 2gm had a backwards facing impeller.

In the top cover on your pump reads Johnson F4B you will need a JHN 091026B1 Impeller.

I know it a johnson pump because the the shaft is split and the impellor will have a bar through he middle, the same sized Yanmar pump uses a keyed shaft.

Rick+

TakeFive

Member II
In the top cover on your pump reads Johnson F4B you will need a JHN 091026B1 Impeller.

Thanks for the heads up Rick.
I headed for the Yanmar dealer Wednesday, picked up a box of spare parts including impeller as one of the vanes broke off.
Went to install it today, hmmmm what is this slot, Yanmar impeller doesn't fit a Johnson pump.
Back to the dealer Tuesday

-Gary

Tomwine

Member II
Martin Ball MJB Marine. New Phone #310 5089036

Had Martin do some work on my Yanmar 3gm30F last week. Great guy to deal with. Very professional.
Here is his current phone number if anyone needs it.