• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Removing the engine, how difficult

Shadowdancer

I am looking at buying a E38 and the engine is a rust bucket, the oil pan was sitting in water or some time ( not sure how long). How difficult would it be to remove the engine. after getting it out I could then replace the oil pan, sandblast, repaint and rebuild if necessary. can the boom take it out ?
thanks
Rock

Emerald

If you use a halyard attached to the boom at the same point your hoist is attached, you can do this. Just make sure the halyard is taking the load, not the boom. I have used the boom rigged this way on several different vessels for doing engine R/R.

Shadowdancer

So the halyard is attached to the middle of the boom where the weight of the engine is, do you use a come along to lift the engine and then swing the boom over, it would seem that you have to re attache the engine when its on the deck in order to get it over the deck and onto the ground. not sure i understand the process.
thanks

Emerald

What I've done is to wrap the halyard around the boom at the exact same point I've attached the come-along. I've been able to position the engine in the cabin in such a spot I've lifted it straight up out of the cabin, and then swung the boom over. Yes, you might need to set the engine back down topsides and do some shuffling depending on how everything is lining up to then swing it over the side of the boat to lower it to ground/pier. A couple friends can also probably help guide/hold it off at an angle if you're close to being able to drop it straight down but need just a little adjustment. I have not done this on an E38 specifically, so I can't tell you to attach everything at x precise spot, but with a little eyeball work, you ought to be able to get things to line up and a couple friends and some beer incentive when all done seems to have done the trick for me in the past. I've also used the boom to move the engine below for the scoot out from under the cockpit to under the companion way. Even at an angle with the come-along, I was able to get enough lifting action to ease the engines off their mounts, move them into the cabin, make some adjustments perhaps, and the lift and swing and down. Take is slow, triple look everything over, and I bet you can make this work.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Damage/Repair Estimates?

I am looking at buying a E38 and the engine is a rust bucket, the oil pan was sitting in water or some time ( not sure how long). How difficult would it be to remove the engine. after getting it out I could then replace the oil pan, sandblast, repaint and rebuild if necessary. can the boom take it out ?
thanks
Rock

That model had a long production run at EY. In about '86 they put the engine under the galley counter for a while. The rest of them had it located under the companionway. That four cylinder diesel might weigh over 300#.

Vast majority were Universals, but I have seen several later 80's ones with Yanmars.
Can you update your bio with vessel year and model?
Whether you have the original interior layout or the E38-200 version will make some difference.

Other folks with a need to remove an engine have found ways to bring it into the cabin and then lift if out of the boat. This will take some work to rig a tackle to a strong point to provide up-lift and another point to provide a way to move it forward. I have a friend that removed an engine, and took first removed parts -- starter, alternator, bell housing and trans........

Not "rocket science" but tedious work. I would firstly put down a protective material over the cabin sole, like a pattern-cut piece of ply or door skin; you do not want to create other repair projects while working on the main one.

BTW, if you still in the looking phase, this work should be estimated by a boatyard to see if the purchase price is appropriate. There should be information from the owner as to *exactly* why an engine was ever sitting in water. That implies water over the sole and at a minimum a need for wood cabinet refinishing.

Good luck,
Loren

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am looking at buying a E38 and the engine is a rust bucket

I would start with an engine survey and put everything on hold until the analysis and estimates are in.

It may not be so bad.

If bad, I would run.

Emerald

and thinking of the first movement of the engine off it's mounts etc., I've used a 4x4 across the companion way to attach a come-along for the first shuffling. Easy to slide it forward and aft as needed. I've done this with several A4s, and Yanmar 2QM15 and Yanmar 3GM30F.

steven

Sustaining Member
Never pulled an engine. Bu have manuevered a 250lb mushroom anchor from the cockpit into the water using halyard and boom.
Actually wasn't very difficult. The trick is in rigging the control lines to use the boom to position, but take the stresses on the halyard(s).

I will probably pull mine this spring.

While we are on the subject, dumb question: when you disconnect the engine from the shaft, does the shaft try to slide backwards? Does it have to be marked and held in place with something?

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Rock, these engines aren't too hard to remove. The oil pans tend to rust. We replaced ours when we replaced the transmission.
What year is the 38 you are looking at?

Emerald

[snip]

While we are on the subject, dumb question: when you disconnect the engine from the shaft, does the shaft try to slide backwards? Does it have to be marked and held in place with something?

possibly, but typically have a coupling still attached that would keep it from going all the way even if you did nothing. Better yet though, put a hose clamp around the shaft right in front of the stuffing box to limit travel.