• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35 Engine Compartment Access "port"

EMKoper

Member II
Hello - I was strolling through photos on Yachtworld of E35s to get ideas on layouts for upgrades and I stumbled across the below image. Slightly newer E35 than mine (mine is 1984 E35 MKIII, this was a few years later, can't remember for sure) and it had something I've thought about but didn't know how easy it would be to implement -- a second, aft, engine compartment/mid-stern area quick access cutout. There are definitely 5-6 items that this access port would allow me to touch on my boat that I just can't reach today wedging myself down into the starboard lazarettet (I'm a moderately sized male at 6'2" with broad shoulders). What got me thinking about something like this was limited/no access to my muffler, some parts of transmission, fresh water intake to water heater, some fresh water plumbing connections, and a ventilation air pump in that area for the compartment.

Has anyone added this or similar additional engine compartment access to an E35?

I am guessing the quarter berth photos shows OEM production since it has the same quick access plastic connecter things consistent with the model. If not specific to an E35, I guess I am also interested in any approach taken for more ready physical access to any engine/subsystem component(s) in this area, E35 or not. If I don't hear anything, I am going to further evaluate the area and come up with some cut-in ideas that I can get some photos and hopefully feedback for (currently healing from knee surgery, so hard to climb in there right now).

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5089906_20160112072835766_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5089906_20160112072835766_1_XLARGE.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 798
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On the '85 32-3, that entire 5' quarterberth panel would slide out, removing completely to provide full access to engine, Racor, heat exchanger, transmission and rudder tube.

On the '84 E38 there are two access ports, as shown on the E35 above. Access is only OK.

The 32-3 was better.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Alan and I found a similar difference on our E26 his is just two years older than mine I think, and mine had a removable access beside the quarter birth and his didn't. The extra access allows easy reach to EVERYTHING aft. I remember he was evaluating making the upgrade to his boat but I cant remember if he has gotten around to it yet.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-Wanted-contortionist-to-work-on-stuffing-box
My boat is an '84--one year older than yours. And yes, I did cut out the existing panel with a Sawzall and fabricated a new panel that slides fore and aft in a groove on the bottom. It is held in place on top with two thumb screws. Really essential for accessing the aft end of the boat, including exhaust and cockpit drains.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 724

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Measure twice...

Hi Eric,

Our 35-3 didn't come with that second opening to the engine compartment either. I added it. It wasn't difficult, and it has made life MUCH easier.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Nicely done Alan, it came out really clean looking.
Thanks! (I shot that picture before I added some trim to hide the gap at the aft end of the QB--which no one would ever see anyway, given the junk that I usually stow back there! :rolleyes:)

EMKoper

Member II
Hi Eric,

Our 35-3 didn't come with that second opening to the engine compartment either. I added it. It wasn't difficult, and it has made life MUCH easier.

Thanks, all, for the input. I looked at the location today (wow, that section feels very "structural" and I cringe thinking about cutting into it and then trying to sleep soundly afterwards). Once my knee has healed up a little I'll jump in and get some shots from the lazarette of potentially no return (in the event I get stuck I always go in with a cell phone and a fresh beer for additional sustenance, if needed) and let you all know my plans before I make the cut with a more detailed plan worthy of comment.

Some mentioned that on their E32 the full section "slid out" ... I would almost like that better than cutting into the wall to keep a fine/continuous wooden wall in compression but I don't see how a slide out mod could easily be possible on the E-35 ...

Cory B - If you have any photos from within the engine compartment to see how/where you made the cut and see any additional structural components you may have added around the area after doing so would be appreciated! Am I off base on how importantly structural this wall is? Seems to me this wall is holding up 1/3 of the cockpit (there is no inboard vertical support for any of the port side of the cockpit before nearing the companion-way area).

Cory B

Sustaining Member
cut out

Hi Eric,

I don't have any pics, and probably won't make it to the boat for a while.

I don't remember exactly what I did, but I did have to relocate some wires and perhaps the blower. To make sure I cut it out at the right place I used to a drill to probe and mark the 4 corners to make sure I had everything where I wanted it. I didn't have any concerns about it weakening support for the cockpit sole, and haven't seen any evidence of it doing so. I didn't add any new structural supports. I did avoid cutting too close to the edges as that might have weakened it. I don't know how structural this panel really is (there isn't a full length equivalent on the other side). I'm not a structural engineer, but my limited understanding is you can usually cut holes in the middle of things without compromising strength too much, such as racing sailboat booms with holes cut out of them to save weight, and housing joists with holes in the middle to run wires or pipes.

The resulting access panel was smaller than the forward one, and based on the pic you attached smaller than the "stock" cutout used on later E35-3s. Visually, my cuts were probably not quite as pretty as the factory job, but its hardly noticeable tucked back in the quarterberth.

The full slide out panel that some of the boats have sure sounds nice, but also sounds like a lot of work to retrofit properly.

Last edited:

Doug177

Member III
The boat came that way Eric

I am the third owner, but the first two just changed the oil and anti-freeze and kept the boat in mint condition. When I get up to the boat in the Spring (300 miles to the Snowy North) I will take more photos.
Actually, it might be spring already...thunderstorms predicted this afternoon in Mid-Michigan.

Cheers....Doug

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Doug's looks original to me. It has that extra teak trim in the cutout hiding the plywood edge that I think most DIYers (myself included) wouldn't do.

And it looks a little wider than the cut out I made.

Last edited:

Doug177

Member III
Jackpot....I just found inside shot of panel....

Lots of important looking stuff needs to be carefully avoided and possibly re-routed a bit to cut out panel as you can see from this inside panel photo. Red arrow marks forward end of access panel.

Attachments

• inside-access-panel-web.jpg
    inside-access-panel-web.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 246