• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Architect Frank Gehry's New Boat

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The new Foggy appeared this morning at California Yacht Club.

Frank Gehry, architect of Disney Hall, Bilbao, Paris, had a stock French boat of about 45 feet. The new one reflects his decidedly not-stock taste. Gehry's work has always shown the influence of sails, obvious to any of us.

Much more on the Internet regarding this design and Gehry.

NIce to have a new slip neighbor of such fascinating expression. Some details. The portlight design--that formation of scattered shards--is repeated in several places on the hull.

I was working with my young rigger this morning, and he came back from the head bubbling excited. "They just hired me to put the lifelines on Frank Gehry's boat!"

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Gehry D.jpg
    Gehry D.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 333
  • Gehry B.jpg
    Gehry B.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 427
  • Gehry C.jpg
    Gehry C.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 250
  • Gehry A.jpg
    Gehry A.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 565
  • Gehry E.jpg
    Gehry E.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 168

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
That is really pretty. I can't imagine the maintenance.
I understand Frank Gehry's Philadelphia Museum of Art underground expansion design was well received.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We had a tour a few weeks ago. The galley has no stove. Microwave cooking only. Nothing below is traditional, spaces are very open, nothing to hold on to. It does not strike you as a boat thought out for offshore sailing, but rather as a personal expression. Most big custom boats are designed for luxury or for winning races and both at once is possible in this class. Foggy strikes me as wonderfully eccentric, and beautiful.

Latest news: the larch (wood) articulating transom seen above has got to go. I asked my informant, why? He smiled.

"It's not titanium."

Everybody who works with Gehry smiles and proceeds. Theirs (ours) not to reason why.