• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A Wintertime Blues Cure (a short term fix)

Grizz

Grizz
What better way to cure the Wintertime Blues than rummage through pics and relive time on the lake?

These 3 pics were captured during last year’s Mac, Monday morning @ 7:30 AM, on approach to Gray’s Reef, we deep into hour 4 of an awesome ‘hang on!’ run, during which we eventually reeled in a competing boat and passed them (to leeward, they defended the eastern edge of the channel) ½ up Gray’s Reef Passage, a 1[SUP]st [/SUP]for us. Grins all ‘round.

The camera eventually caught an image of 8.4, but this pic has Depth, AWS and AWA in the image, which is also important. Yes, that's 8.3. Awesome!

I kept thinking “this has GOT to be above theoretical hull speed and someone will need to explain how this is possible”. Another thought was “what’s going to break and what do we do if/when it does?”. Not comforting…

I fully expected the kite (.75 oz.) to explode and knew the other heavy air kite was packed and ready in the v-berth, if needed. It was a full 4 hour duration at this speed, mainsheet alive the entire time, eased to the nubbin when heel and being overpowered dictated…then trimmed…repeat and repeat. This cycle slowed, a lot, once we three of the off shift (we raced with a crew of 6 this time) climbed up to join the 3 running the boat and perched aft starboard quarter, placing 600+ pounds in a preferable position. The wheel/helm calmed down, heel settled in, mainsheet wasn’t as active, boat speed stayed steady in low 8’s. Screaming. All good.

The 25-30 inclinometer banked down to 15-20 once our fat asses were parked where they needed to be. One topic of discussion on the island centered around “you probably should have called us up earlier so we could have packed the aft quarter with our weight. We could have dozed with all 3 of us shoulder-to-shoulder hanging on the lifeline and made handling the boat easier for you”.

Amazing how sensitive this Olson is to correct weight positioning, almost like a dingy. Wow.

"1 day closer to spring"!
icon7.gif

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• JOG Mac 2015 (49).jpg
    JOG Mac 2015 (49).jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 113
  • JOG Mac 2015 (51).jpg
    JOG Mac 2015 (51).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 101
  • JOG Mac 2015 (69).jpg
    JOG Mac 2015 (69).jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 116

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Mac Photos

Interesting......just happened to come up with some old photos that I had here from the 1972 Mac......The third one that I sailed of fourteen, and the first on my own boat.....

When I looked at the pics of ME......I can't belive I was ever that young, or that I ever took that much punishment in the name of sport......

But I would do it again if I could reverse the aging process.......

For now the photos, and the race results from todays races will fantasy......

Keep on racing.......sailing is a bore.....racing is FUN!!!!!!