• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 "Libertad" for sale in Seattle area (on CL)

GregB

Member II
https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/5377960690.html

Anyone familiar with this boat? I was so scarred by the monumental waste of time associated with the last schlep out to look at a boat (Not Island Time... she was a beauty!) I have become a little more picky!

I am interested in bigger boats these days. (Don't tell the Admiral / Wife.)

PM me if you are shy... If not, let your freak flag fly.

GregB

Member II
Gen X? Boomer?

Because I am a needy selfish whiny little brat of course! :).

Though based on my year of birth I am in between a baby boomer and a gen-x'er So I am also sort of self aware and I desire to help others.

It will be interesting to see which side prevails.

I am in correspondence with the seller, but I thought I would try to get some intel to save a little time.

It is tough being in the company of such gentlemen. High bar...

Why don't you look at it and tell us what you think?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just making guestimates from the pictures in the ad...

Early enough in production to have the Atkins Hoyle alloy-framed hatches (pre Lewmar). It's a "mark one" model and the keel profile looks like that shoal draft fin. (We once looked at a '79 model with those hatches.)
Price might be appropriate, depending on whether major preventative maintenance items have been done.

The Pathfinder (VW) diesel was installed post-build, AFAIK. That might be a good thing, depending on how the engine surveys out.

From the brag that the rigging was recently "tuned" this might indicate that the standing rig is old. Or not. (?)
You will need ago visit it and take notes and pictures.
I wonder what the seller means by saying that mast and boom are "like new?"

Good luck,
Loren

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Just making guestimates from the pictures in the ad...

Early enough in production to have the Atkins Hoyle alloy-framed hatches (pre Lewmar). It's a "mark one" model and the keel profile looks like that shoal draft fin. (We once looked at a '79 model with those hatches.)
Price might be appropriate, depending on whether major preventative maintenance items have been done.

The Pathfinder (VW) diesel was installed post-build, AFAIK. That might be a good thing, depending on how the engine surveys out.

From the brag that the rigging was recently "tuned" this might indicate that the standing rig is old. Or not. (?)
You will need ago visit it and take notes and pictures.
I wonder what the seller means by saying that mast and boom are "like new?"

Good luck,
Loren

Did I read in the ad that the "original sails" were repaired? If the boat has sails as old as the boat, that would knock something off the price.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The price for this 38 is already way below the average for these boats. It appears that it has already been discounted for antique sails and electronics, etc. The price would kind of indicate that the boat may be a little "ruff". It's price vs. amount and time to fix up. At the minimum, new sails will be required.

GregB

Member II
My assessment (Haven't seen her yet though)

I figured (And of course, DIY would lower some or all of these substantially):

re-rig: 6K+-
New Sails: 6K+-
New Canvas: 6K+-
Haul and paint, true prop, examine through hulls maybe replace a couple: 6K+-
Minimal electronics package: 2K+-
Purchase price: 35K+-

Amount invested :61K+-

Resale value 50K+-

IMHO this actually isn't bad at all in the "boat math" world.

Of course if the interior is trashed, the engine doesn't check out, the decks are damaged or soft or there is hull damage it is a disaster.

Not sure I am up for the challenge either. It makes me tired just thinking about it!