• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 buying advice

isesseg

Hello fellow Ericson owners... I am looking at an E27 which I can get for a song. Not much is known about the boat other than that the engine does not run, but there are plenty of pictures. I was thinking of buying as a first boat and as a way of getting the family sailing and having fun together. Several years down the road I dream of sailing to the Bahamas and perhaps beyond. might need a bigger boat by then, but I assume the E27 would be a good starting boat. Knowing what you know, would you buy this boat for a song? What should I look out for? Thanks! here's the link with the pictures:

https://goo.gl/photos/GU4mPUJorZ1MryU67

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Not a good tune

That song is never going to be sweet enough to cover what you're going to have to do to get that thing in shape. My former 27 is back on the market. It comes with a triple axle trailer. I believe that the present owner is motivated. It's listed with Boats R Fun out of Willsboro, NY. It's still in turn key shape. No muss no fuss. I still have far more information on it then is listed. If it piques your interest let me know and I can give you more details.

isesseg

That song is never going to be sweet enough to cover what you're going to have to do to get that thing in shape. My former 27 is back on the market. It comes with a triple axle trailer. I believe that the present owner is motivated. It's listed with Boats R Fun out of Willsboro, NY. It's still in turn key shape. No muss no fuss. I still have far more information on it then is listed. If it piques your interest let me know and I can give you more details.

Hello Afrakes... Thanks for the advice. I guess I just need to be patient and get a decent boat even if it costs more that I want to spend right now. I keep getting the same advive from my friend. Is this your former E-27?
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/photo_gallery.jsp?&hosturl=willsboro&&ywo=willsboro&slim=broker&boat_id=2840078&boatname=27%27+Ericson+27&photo_revised_date=1430928681000&photo_name=Photo+0&photo=0&url=

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Al speaketh much truth. Listeneth to himeth. Seriously, based on those pictures that boat would not be a good deal even if you got it for free. (And, by the way, boats always look better in pictures than they do in real life!)

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
... be patient and get a decent boat even if it costs more that I want to spend right now.

There's nothing more expensive than a "free" boat (getting a boat for "a song" is a close second...)

isesseg

thanks

Thanks for the advice. And your former E-27 is beautiful... i guess I need to just have more patience for now... and keep saving :)

dt222

Member III
I agree

I agree with the previous comments. The '27 is a good first boat, particularly if you are wanting to get the family buy in. As far as the boat that you were considering, that has to be the roughest bunch of pictures that I've seen in a while, and that's just what you can see. I can just imagine what the bottom would look like if hauled. There are too many missing parts. The difference between that boat and Al's former boat may only be a couple of thousand $$. You and your family would be much happier having a boat you could actually use even if it meant waiting another year or so.

Don

kari

Member III
I still think that 27 could be a great project for someone . . . I think Jeff Asbury or someone with more computer skills than me post the link to E 27 group on Facebook . .

Gary Holford

Member II
It would be good multi year project if it was free, if sails were good and it was a fresh water boat. You won't get the family to buy in if they have to put in that much sweat equity. The E27 is a great starter boat (had mine for 8 years and plan on being buried in it) but there are all kinds out there that are affordable and turn key. Good luck

Gary

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I still think that 27 could be a great project for someone . . . I think Jeff Asbury or someone with more computer skills than me post the link to E 27 group on Facebook . .

Isesseg that is one very Sad Song. The seller of that vessel should be paying the buyer to take it off his hands. Very sad to see that kind of neglect although I have seen boats almost as bad as that.

I posted the photos to the Ericson 27 Owners Facebook page as kari suggested:

Isesseg you might want to check out the Ericson 27 Owners Facebook Group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ericson27Owners/

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Met with the surveyor Jim Wallace last week, who says he is sometimes asked to put a value on boats like that.

The value he assigns is, "No value."

bigtyme805

Member III
That boat has been severely neglected and will need a ton of work and a ton of money. If your willing to do the work then that is another story. For a first boat I would stay far away from this one. Go with something with a known history and can pass a survey. LOL! Good luck in your search.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Run away!

That is not a family fun boat. That is a family nightmare. It will take you many thousands of dollars to get to the point where you can go sailing and unless you are in the mood for an extended project, the "song" you will be singing will be the blues. Although the brightwork down below looks good, everything else in the photos needs to be replaced. Motor, sails, hatch, running rigging, standing rigging, electrical, etc. Definitely not something I would trust my family's life with!:0 I was in a similar position when I bought my E27, but it looked much better and I did not have the benefit of the good advice of this forum. Surveyor was worthless. 3 years after purchase, we sailed her for the first time... I could (should) have bought a great condition Ericson 32-III for the amount of $$ spent. I did enjoy the restoration process, but in hindsight with the kids growing up and taking up way more space on the boat than when we bought it, it would have been better to cough up the money in the first place. Pay now or pay later...

Good luck and keep looking for something that has been better cared for.

Last edited:

isesseg

Thanks

Thanks to all for the sound advice. I will steer clear of such bargain boats and their siren calls.