• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pontos winches

mfield

Member III
Does anyone have any experience with the 4 speed winches made by Pontos? I have watched the videos and the "grinder" looks interesting.

My Barient winches are going strong but must wear out eventually.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
The videos look cool. I can't imagine the price would ever be worth it and I think my Lewmar winches will outlast me, but I love to see so much innovation in the sailing industry almost everywhere I look.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Contemplating a Pontos

The specs are indeed interesting. My Lewmar 46ST primaries are holding up fine, but these would be in the running for a replacement.

I note that today at Fisheries Supply the Lewmar 46ST is special-priced at $1582. and their price on the Pontos 46G is $2209.

It's certainly a difference, but not so much that it would eliminate the Pontos, considering the mechanical advantages I have read about. Winches are a near-lifetime purchase for our size boats, i.e. a major upgrade that we likely will do only once. Sort of like installing a new diesel, or buying a new main and jib.

YMMV, and... opinions rendered on the hour, deposit one penny!
:)

Loren