• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Broken Shaft Strut an my E32

ragamuffin

Member II
Hello All, So yesterday was the first day I have been out to the boat since it was hauled. First time I have seen the bottom since i bought the boat and the bottom looked great until I got to the stern and notice the Shaft Strut is split@!! DOH! Not sure how the F this happened but I do recall a loud thud like I hit something when motoring from the marina I bought it to the marina I am storing her.

Questions

1. Why how could this happen?
2. Can bronze be welded, I have read that it can "If you get a good guy with a helm-arc , and get the right rod , you can have a repair that is as strong , and undetectable as new" If this is true anyone know a good bronze welder in chicago?

Any help greatly appreciated as this is yet another repair to add to my list. Also as far as I could tell the shaft was straight and even when i heard the noise there was no shuttering and the motor seemed to run fine.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• shaft strut1_resized.jpg
    shaft strut1_resized.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 394
  • shaft strut2_resized.jpg
    shaft strut2_resized.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 352

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Rags,

Were you there when they hauled your boat? I think that if they placed the straps wrong before the travel lift picked her up, they could have caused that strut to break. You should check the shaft to make sure it's still straight, too.

Ace

Same issue on my E32. Hauled it out this morning

I was told that they need to cut into the fiberglass to remove old strut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 300

tenders

Innocent Bystander
If you go into the boat aft of the engine you will probably see that strut held in place with six bolts. Mine are somehow bent, if I'm remembering correctly, but I think one could cut or grind those bolts off relatively easily and get the strut out. But I remember thinking if that strut breaks it's going to be a bear to find a replacement. I have no idea how to align it from there.

I agree that if the shaft wasn't flailing around like a banshee when the engine was running during the season that the straps were not placed properly when the boat was being hauled out. I happen to know that on my 32 the aft strap needs to be forward of the bulkhead the hatchboards slide into. There is also a stanchion on the decks there, and tiny marks on the bootstripe, to further commemorate this little rigging detail.

ragamuffin

Member II
Thanks for the comments. After looking at this in more detail I agree that this must have been done on the haul out. As you can clearly see the strap abrasion aft of the prop all the way to where it landed for lifting. Also when winterizing I ran the engine in the slip under load at about full RPMS and did not notice any shaft movement or shaking at all. I wonder how difficult it is going to be to file a claim for this damage! At least I have all winter to solve yet another issue. :)

Guy Stevens

I am not sure that there is any cutting out that needs to happen

Most of the E boats that I have been on have the strut attached in the same way.

It is bolted into the boat through a slot in the hull and then faired afterwards. There may be a layer of glass over the inside nuts.

Someone with a 32 that has had theirs in or out confirm?

Don't trust that anyone working in a boat yard knows anything about boats, most of them don't.

Also look at http://catalog.buckalgonquin.com/viewitems/sailboat-struts-2/bronze-sailboat-struts

Then there is the option of sending the broken parts to a foundry and having it used as a pattern for a new one. When I was casting bronze before all my casting equipment was stolen, I cast quite a few struts using the old struts as patterns.

Guy
:)

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
I was told that they need to cut into the fiberglass to remove old strut

Sorry to come into the discussion late but I had the same problem with my E-32 back in the early 80's. (Owned her since new in '73.)

YES, you DO have to grind/cut into the glass to get to the rest of the cutlass strut and then remove it. Sadly, you will need a new strut. I was told that the bronze cannot be welded or brazed and have the strength needed for it's job. ...It is a lot of work - but not as bad as you think.

As was mentioned to you, the yard may have hauled with the rear strap in the wrong location. Another problem could have been galvanic action on the strut weakening it over time. (That is what happened to mine due to the marina having a lot of electrical current from other boats around me.)
-kerry

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hello All, So yesterday was the first day I have been out to the boat since it was hauled. First time I have seen the bottom since i bought the boat and the bottom looked great until I got to the stern and notice the Shaft Strut is split@!! DOH! Not sure how the F this happened but I do recall a loud thud like I hit something when motoring from the marina I bought it to the marina I am storing her.

Questions

1. Why how could this happen?
2. Can bronze be welded, I have read that it can "If you get a good guy with a helm-arc , and get the right rod , you can have a repair that is as strong , and undetectable as new" If this is true anyone know a good bronze welder in chicago?

Any help greatly appreciated as this is yet another repair to add to my list. Also as far as I could tell the shaft was straight and even when i heard the noise there was no shuttering and the motor seemed to run fine.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Repeat from reply to "ACE" - ...Sorry to come into the discussion late but I had the same problem with my E-32 (#296) back in the early 80's. (Owned her since new in '73.)

#1.) As was mentioned below, the yard may have hauled with the rear strap in the wrong location. Another problem could have been galvanic action on the strut weakening it over time. (That is what happened to mine due to the marina having a lot of electrical current from other boats around me.)

#2.) More than likely and sadly, you will need a new strut. I was told that the bronze cannot be welded or brazed and have the strength needed for it's job. Again, mine happened in the 80's and a lot of new techniques have come out since. I personally like the idea of "Piece of Mind" and not having to worry about things. I reside in the Detroit area and will check with some of my engineering friends about it for you as well.

With a new cutlass strut, you DO have to grind/cut into the glass to get to the rest of the old cutlass strut to remove it. There were 4 screws holding mine in place. At the time, I ordered mine from Ericson as they were still in business. Not sure who still makes it now or who the sub-supplier was to Ericson. ...It is a lot of work - but not as bad as you might think.

Also - DO have your shaft checked for still being true. It's worth the effort and time! (Thought mine was straight but it wasn't so replaced the factory monel with SS.)

fair winds
-kerry

Ace

Strut Part number

Do you happen to have any type of information to identify the type or design of the strut. Manufacture, part number?

kapnkd

kapnkd
Do you happen to have any type of information to identify the type or design of the strut. Manufacture, part number?

Just went completely through my old Ericson manual but nothing was listed there on the cutlass strut. However - I think my son may still have a list of the actual old suppliers that he got sometime ago. (He's also an avid Ericson fan as well.)

I will check with him this evening for you and let you know.
-kerry

6:45 EST - 12/01/15 ...Checked with my son and was told the company who made the original struts has long since gone out of business.

THAT being said, I did a quick search on the Internet and found many manufacturers using the search title "bronze struts for sailboats"
ALSO, check out ebay and amazon as there were listings for them as well with many available.

You will need to measure angles, heights and more to figure out exactly what you need but that is to be expected to get the right part and fit.

Last edited: