• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tufnol blocks and cam cleats

Shu

Member II
Hi guys. Anyone have experience or opinions about Tufnol's plastic laminated / resin gear? I like the look and was considering going with it but searching for feedback.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Loren. I read this front to back and don't find any reference to Tufnol. Did I miss something?

If you do a search on Tufnol you will find quite a few sites with these traditional block and sheaves. And that is what was pictured in that older thread. Some sheaves are pictured in reply 20.

Loren

Shu

Member II
Tufnol blocks

If you do a search on Tufnol you will find quite a few sites with these traditional block and sheaves. And that is what was pictured in that older thread. Some sheaves are pictured in reply 20.

Loren

Ok, got it. Thanks Loren.

Navman

Member III
blocks

I had tufinol? blocks on my previous boat which was a 1967 Alberg designed Corinthian Sailstar. Loved them. They always worked, edges of the sheaves and cheeks did not ever break. When they fade in color you can just put some WD 40 on them and they soaked it up and got their dark plum color again. I liked the traditional look. I sold the boat two years ago and all of the original hardware was still on the boat in working order and still is to this day. Not many things last for 45 years these days but those blocks and sheaves did!

Vagabond39

Member III
Tufnol

Hi guys. Anyone have experience or opinions about Tufnol's plastic laminated / resin gear? I like the look and was considering going with it but searching for feedback.
Allied, Cape Dory, Catalina, and others used Tufnol winches, and blocks. British made, if I remember right. South Coast had simular hardware, and winch handles.
Probably Tuff is out of business these many years.
Bob

Shu

Member II
Tufnol

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure about Tuff but I know Tufnol is still up and running. I think they're out of Australia but not positive. I bout a couple cam cleats and will start there. Thanks again.

Vagabond39

Member III
Tufnol

Sorry about the Tuff. That should have been Tuph Fittings, England. Like the proverbial Timex, they take a licking and keep on ticking.
Bob
Memory ain't what it used to be.

Navman

Member III
Tufnol

I believe you can still find Tufnol hardware for sale in the advertisers section in the back of Wooden Boat magazine.