• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New E27 sailing observations

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
We've been sailing this boat every chance we get- maybe half a dozen day sails so far. What a sweetie she is. Points close hauled like on rails. Pretty tender when the wind is up: she heels pretty good but stays there- no rocking or tipping fast- My wife likes that! Light wind? I pride myself on my "dead wind" sailing techniques, so that works well with her as she is not a great light wind gal.

Steep learning curve with this old boat. A few things stopped working; tach, depth finder, reverse gear, galley pump, which I expected. Well not those things, just when a different person operates stuff things sometimes don't like how they're being run so they stop. I am quite lazy but I am enjoying getting things fixed. Got reverse working first and now am figuring how to use propeller walk to my advantage when backing into our slip- and am succeeding with the help of youtubes!

Although all the thru hulls and valves are in good shape the more I read about them the more fear I got: half of all boat sinkings are at the dock, etc. I've sailed under 20 footers all my life and have never had a thru hull. I stopped reading about them and I am over it now. I will keep them maintained as best I can and what will be, will be. Something Doris Day sung, Que Sara, Sera, right?

My mid 20ish boys visit as much as they can to go sailing. She's a great family building tool. They're getting to be better sailors. Sailing has always come naturally to me- seat of the pants I guess, so it has been interesting teaching and verbalizing to them what to do. I've never given so much thought to sailing since I used to play around with rudderless sailing.

Anyway, she's a fine sailboat and we are having a ball with her. Still no name. Thanks again for your support.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That new name

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your boat.
:egrin:

A long time ago I got to do some crewing on an E-27 for local club racing. Surprisingly fast. Then we shared a dock for some overnight cruises and found that the interior was large enough for happy hour for two couples as well.

Several years ago at an Ericson Revdezvous in Port Townsend, I watched a great renaming ceremony for an Ericson 31C. Someone even loaned the person reading the words a helmet with horns!
Anyhow, here's a link to the words with some fun explanations.

http://www.johnvigor.com/Denaming.html

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
We've been sailing this boat every chance we get- maybe half a dozen day sails so far. What a sweetie she is. Points close hauled like on rails. Pretty tender when the wind is up: she heels pretty good but stays there- no rocking or tipping fast- My wife likes that! Light wind? I pride myself on my "dead wind" sailing techniques, so that works well with her as she is not a great light wind gal.

Steep learning curve with this old boat. A few things stopped working; tach, depth finder, reverse gear, galley pump, which I expected. Well not those things, just when a different person operates stuff things sometimes don't like how they're being run so they stop. I am quite lazy but I am enjoying getting things fixed. Got reverse working first and now am figuring how to use propeller walk to my advantage when backing into our slip- and am succeeding with the help of youtubes!

Although all the thru hulls and valves are in good shape the more I read about them the more fear I got: half of all boat sinkings are at the dock, etc. I've sailed under 20 footers all my life and have never had a thru hull. I stopped reading about them and I am over it now. I will keep them maintained as best I can and what will be, will be. Something Doris Day sung, Que Sara, Sera, right?

My mid 20ish boys visit as much as they can to go sailing. She's a great family building tool. They're getting to be better sailors. Sailing has always come naturally to me- seat of the pants I guess, so it has been interesting teaching and verbalizing to them what to do. I've never given so much thought to sailing since I used to play around with rudderless sailing.

Anyway, she's a fine sailboat and we are having a ball with her. Still no name. Thanks again for your support.

I have loved my E-27 since I got her back in 2002. Very forgiving and great preforming boat. She really is everything I could ask for but I plan to move up to a larger live aboard boat in the near future. But It's a hard decision to let my trusty E-27 go. She has worked out so well as a boat that is very easy to single hand. She's the tiller rig with a little inboard diesel. I have all lines leading to the cockpit and it's so easy to reach the jib sheets and mid boom sheeting. I am surprised to hear you describe it as "tender", I have sailed on larger boats that are much more tender. I have never had the rails under on my E-27. I don't think it's possible. :egrin: At least not in any of my experiences and I've had quite a few in all weather conditions.

Check out our E-27's Owner's Facebook page when you get a chance at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ericson27Owners and join our group there.

Welcome Aboard!

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Tender (Jeff)

Jeff, I really have nothing to compare her to, having sailed small guys all my life. The comment had to do with my expectations.

On another topic, what kind of rig did you use to go up the mast in your video. This boat came w/ a bo'sun's chair (I think). It looks pretty dangerous all on it's own.

Kingfisher

Another fairly new E 27 owner here. Currently undergoing in water restoration. Unfortunately haven't sailed her much due to storm damage on delivery (that's a whole 'nother story) I'll tell you this, the hull can handle some weather.

Inspect your spreader brackets now and if they are original get them off the boat, they are a weak point for sure. I have a new setup coming from Rig Rite that I'll post pictures of on delivery and after my rigger repairs my uppers and does the install.

When I get motivated I'll post some of the progress on the refurb. but there's still a ton to do.

Enjoy!

Kingfisher

The factory spreader brackets are cast and a known weak point in the rigging, lots of info on record of them failing. They crack or snap off under stress.

In my case I can't actually fault the design totally for the fail as my main ripped at the tack and flogged the upper pretty good, but in my mind a stronger bracket would have held regardless. My starboard spreader floats somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico.

I had read enough previously that I had planned to replace them but would rather have had done that before I had a failure. Good news is the rig does not come down on this type of fail or at least not in my case.

Kingfisher

In my case currently a bosun's chair and 2 teen boys on the winch/halyard, although not in it's current state. The rigger and I have have a plan if attack on it in the current state of affairs.

I plan to install folding steps to the spreaders for other uses beyond servicing aloft. Without that consideration I would go with a mastclimber myself.

Happy Holiday

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff, I really have nothing to compare her to, having sailed small guys all my life. The comment had to do with my expectations.

On another topic, what kind of rig did you use to go up the mast in your video. This boat came w/ a bo'sun's chair (I think). It looks pretty dangerous all on it's own.
Sorry for the late reply. I was out of town for the holiday.

I use a good old two fold purchase block and tackle set up. I usually try to have two guys on the dock. One to hoist me and the other to take up or pay out the slack through a secure point on the dock like a dock cleat. The first double block is attached to the main halyard and the second to the bosun's chair. I can't remember exactly how much line I measured out for my tackle when I put it together but I'm pretty sure it's double the height from deck to mast head. I picked up the double blocks at marine swap meets. Quality Harken blocks. I have a good quality chair with pockets on it that came with my boat that looks something like the attached pic. I have tried a friend's top climber system a long time ago but I was never comfortable with it. I have been aloft more times than I can remember now.

When I was a kid around 12 or so, my father made a chair that was just a 2 X 6 board with a couple of holes drilled in it to run the lines through and hoisted me to the top of his Islander 33'. He hoisted me up with the main halyard winch. I had to retrieve the jib halyard I let slip out of my hands. I must have weighed less than 80 lbs back then.

The jokers below me in this video are the ones who hoisted me up. The bitter end of the line that's holding me up is attached to a dock cleat.

https://youtu.be/UDOT5yai9uE

Attachments

• 10177640.jpg
    10177640.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited: