• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

mast lowering question

ckmag27

I've just purchased a 1973 e25 and I would like to lower the mast. I have read the book entiled "raising and lowering the ericson/25 mast." My problem deals with the boom guys, (referred to in step # 7, in "Preparing the mast for rasing") and step # 5, in ("lowering the mast"). I don't believe I have boom guys, unless they are part of the standing rigging and I don't realize it. If I make them, I don't know how long they should be, If they must be made of steal cable, and how strong they should be. Also, when lowering the mast the book does not say what to attach the boom guys to. The book says to attach them to the link plates on the upper shrouds in " preparing the mast for raising," is this the same attatchment point for lowering the mast? It is hard to tell in the picture what and where the "link plates" are. I am assuming that they are located at the juncture of the boat and the cables which connect the top of the mast to the sides of the boat.
Last concern; someone was responded to about a stop which prevents the boom from sliding down the mast during "mast lowering," in the book it does not mention a stop. It says to "secure the gooseneck to a fixed position by tying the line to a halyard cleat."(in the picture, the other end of the line is tied to the gooseneck). Is this not enough to stop the boom from sliding down, if not, if I reposition my downhaul cleat to just below the mast, do you think it would prevent movement? Any wisdom you can provide me with would be tremendously appreciated.

Last edited:

Steve Swann

Member III
Raising and lowering an E25 Mast

Charlie,

I have some photos and printed information that I can send to you that will greatly (and more safely) aid you with your task. I have the equipment you are asking about for my E25 mast - and identical boat to yours. I will send measurements and additional photos to you.

It is all pretty straightforward to do, but it can go wrong if something breaks or slips - which are always my biggest concerns. The other problem I seem to have is to prevent my hoisting line on the halyard winch from crossing up and binding into an untenable mess. It is always necessary to have at least one, but two more is preferable, people to assist and serve as safety attendants while attempting this exercise. The last couple of times I have raised and lowered my mast, I used a 4-wheeler!

Send me a personal email address or a snail-mail address and I'll send you pictures, a drawing and my recommendations for a safe and straight mast and tabernacle!

Steve Swann
Sea Horse
Boise, ID

rssailor

Mast raising

You will need to be very careful raising and lowing your mast no matter what system you use. Raising and lowering the way you are describing means modifing the standing rigging to get a pivot point for the boom. This should work ok for you. I imagine that your mast is notched in the from and the tabenacle is not slotted. Beware that having the mast notched in the from weakens the mast. You will need to make an insert to go in the the base of the mast to provide 360 support. This is neccasary for both sailing and raising and lowing of the the mast. The base is under a lot stress during the process of raising and lowering the mast. Be careful as well that mast raising from the front up starts from the mast at 90 degree angle in relation to being vertical which is zero degrees. I use a different system than the one esposed by the factory. It is not neccasarily better, but I prefer it. Wanna know more, contact me at rssailor@yahoo.com and I would be glad to give you my number and give you advice based upon my many years of trailer sailing. Ryan

ckmag27

Steve and Ryan,
Thanks for the info, I've sent each of you a message with my e-mail, but I am uncertain the message worked so here is my e-mail. ckmag27@hotmail.com
The more information I can get, the safer I will feel.
thanks again
charlie

asl100376

Boom Guys & Mast Crutches for E25

Steve, Ryan, Charlie,

I plan on lowering my mast in the next couple weeks and I am also missing some peices from the factory lowering/raising kit.

Do any of you still have the information about the Boom Guys? such as pictures, dimensions etc.? I have read through the factory manual and I think I have most of the steps figured out but I am missing the actual Boom Guys.

The boat also did not come with the mast crutches so I plan on building these. If anyone has these also and would be willing to send the dimenisions that would help me tremendously.

My plan for lowering the mast includes 2 extra helpers initially but I would like to become self-sufficient eventually with the lowering kit.

Thanks,

briangsmith

Member II
hey all- i need this info too~!!

hey guys, 'timing is everything', right? i posted more or less the same
question a week or so ago here- very much need these PICS, DIAGRAMS AND SUGGESTIONS for raising/lowering (single-handed if possible) my
E-25 mast-

THANKS!!

brian smith
homer, alaska
icreate@alaska.net ***

gjersvik

Member II
E-25 Ez-Up System

The Ez-Up system consists of two 112 inch steel cables running from the boom to the upper shroudes. The upper shrouds have a tang swaged inline with the shroud that allows the steel cable to me pinned in place 21 inches above the deck. The boom has two 3 inch tangs positioned at an angle on either side of the boom. As for the mast crutch, it is not a key component and any sort of crutch would do fine. Attached are some pictures of these parts. If anyone needs more detailed photos please let me know.

Attachments

• brack3.jpg
    brack3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 73
  • bracket2.jpg
    bracket2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 79
  • bracket5.jpg
    bracket5.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 102

asl100376

Charlie,

Thanks a bunch, this is great information. I had assumed that the boom guys attached to the lower shroud chainplate but now your picture of the upper shroud makes it all clear.

Do you happen to have a picture of the hardware attached to the other end of the boom guy? I have the tangs on the end of the boom plus the quick pins (which seem a little long).

If you would prefer to email me directly my email is asl100376 AT Yahoo "dot" com.

I hope to post some detailed diagrams of the mast raising kit after I get it all assembled and tested out.

Thanks,

gjersvik

Member II
Scott:

Both ends of the boom guys are the same, they are nothing more than steel cable with the swaged fitting on both ends. One end is pinned to the boom and the other to the tang in the shroud.

davesail36

e25 mast lowering

Steve, If you still have the info you mention in your post, I would appreciate it as I am currently lowering my mast to make some repairs and to check the halyards.

My email is davelarsen36@hotmail.com
Thanks for your help.

Charlie,

I have some photos and printed information that I can send to you that will greatly (and more safely) aid you with your task. I have the equipment you are asking about for my E25 mast - and identical boat to yours. I will send measurements and additional photos to you.

It is all pretty straightforward to do, but it can go wrong if something breaks or slips - which are always my biggest concerns. The other problem I seem to have is to prevent my hoisting line on the halyard winch from crossing up and binding into an untenable mess. It is always necessary to have at least one, but two more is preferable, people to assist and serve as safety attendants while attempting this exercise. The last couple of times I have raised and lowered my mast, I used a 4-wheeler!

Send me a personal email address or a snail-mail address and I'll send you pictures, a drawing and my recommendations for a safe and straight mast and tabernacle!

Steve Swann
Sea Horse
Boise, ID

davisr

Member III
Dave,

First question . . . which one of these pictures resembles your own E25 mast?

Roscoe
E25, #226
Oystercatcher

001.JPG002.jpg

davisr

Member III
Dave,

You're in luck, since this means that your mast base / tabernacle is designed to allow you to lower the mast. I'm guessing that you are missing the bridle that is described in the posts above. Is that correct? Are you looking to have a bridle constructed by a rigger so that you can lower the mast?

Roscoe

Alaska sailor

I would also like info on taking down the mast please

Steve, If you still have the info you mention in your post, I would appreciate it as I am currently lowering my mast to make some repairs and to check the halyards.

My email is davelarsen36@hotmail.com
Thanks for your help.

Hi there. I am a fairly new boat owner (first boat), a 1979 25+ Ericson and want to take down the mast to do maintenance and a safety check on connections. I have no specific information other than what I read in the blogs here. If there is a "how-to" sheet or other info I would very much appreciate receiving that.

Patti (aka Alaska sailor)

P.S. I see in downloads an E25 mast raising and lowering document. Great! However will this work with the 25+, too?

Last edited: