• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Why "Thelonious" is listed for Sale

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
First, anyone interested should contact me first, since my arrangement with the broker allows a discount for friends. Listing is here.

Second, yeah, I'm crazy, and I know it.

But Thelonious is a completed project, and there's just nothing left to do. And I need something to do in between other things to do. This spring I'll start looking for an E38 project.

Odd, isn;t it? That since I like working on boats as much as sailing them, lately my enjoyment has been cut in half.

Somewhere in the ad it says I'm off to French Polynesia. I did mutter that to the broker, who's a friend.

I haven't yet told my wife, however....

Last edited:

kari

Member III
I think it might be productive to have a few and sleep on this a day or so . . . Just a feelin .. . You need a dock walk with The guys . . .:nerd:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
So that's why you decided to keep the wind steering vane....
:rolleyes:
You have a few more years, a few more plans, and a few more dreams. Might as well keep moving forward.

As Andy told Red : "Either get busy living or get busy dying."

Pretty good advice at any stage of life, it would seem.

Loren

tenders

Innocent Bystander
All that's needed for that boat is to scrape off the "TH"s, replace them with "F"s, and sail off into the sunset.

mfield

Member III
I am worried, surely a sign of the onset of dementia.

1. You decide to sail all the way to Hawaii singlehanded.
2. You decide to sail all the way back rather than staying in Hawaii.
3. You want to sell a perfectly good boat.

I'm sure the maintenance cost of boats goes up exponentially with their length.

The only hope I see is that you are not including the AIS so there is still hope.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A sharp eye regarding the Vesper AIS.

Really, I am just out of things to do to Thelonious.

It feels like sending a kid off to college. I like kids, but after a while you've taught them everything you know....

Sticking with Ericson, of course. Good boats, and I know the systems now.

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Surprised...but not really.

I read your post here with some surprise but then after thinking about you selling your 32 I can understand. My wife and I are contemplating a bigger boat and we were thinking about the 38 foot range. We were considering the Catalina 380 and the E-38. I lean towards the latter because, well, it's familiar and I think that Ericsons are great boats and they look great doing what they do. A sailing season doesn't pass when someone on the Chesapeake Bay says that we have a nice looking boat. So, yes, going to a 38....I get it.

Now if you want more boat work to do, then hop on a plane and get out here to the east coast. I have a whole list of things I want to do to Vesper! Also, as far as being crazy? As the saying sort of goes, "You don't have to be crazy to be a sailor, but it helps."

First, anyone interested should contact me first, since my arrangement with the broker allows a discount for friends.

Second, yeah, I'm crazy, and I know it.

But Thelonious is a completed project, and there's just nothing left to do. And I need something to do in between other things to do. This spring I'll start looking for an E38 project.

Odd, isn;t it? That since I like working on boats as much as sailing them, lately my enjoyment has been cut in half.

Somewhere in the ad it says I'm off the French Polynesia. I did mutter that to the broker, who's a friend.

I haven't yet told my wife, however....

bigtyme805

Member III
Question answered

Christian you answered my ? about what your moving up to. Interesting wanting a fixer? I have been that route on 3 boats I have owned and never again. Just love sailing too much to be tied to the dock. I watched your video and admired it, wish I would have done a video when I took my Ericson 27 to Hawaii from Channel Islands. I no longer have that boat and someone got a really good boat that was refitted. I wish you well in your endeavors and find the right 38. I know you will sell that boat soon. Turn key boats like yours usually sell quick. I will let Charlotte Schmidt Yacht Sales know about your boat since I do business with them in Ventura. She has a lot of customers looking for that size boat and ventures down to MDR quite often.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'd like to read about that Hawaii trip. Did you write it up here?

Fixers, well, I' m not much for "old" boats, either--I say, start with above-average. Then when you double the buy price you actually get something.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I'd like to read about that Hawaii trip. Did you write it up here?

Fixers, well, I' m not much for "old" boats, either--I say, start with above-average. Then when you double the buy price you actually get something.

We went one season on our 32-200 and I immediately wanted a 38-200. Been looking for three years for the right deal, close to home. I love our Ericson and hope to stay with the brand. Like yours, our boat is completely restored (beyond restored I'd say). The reason I haven't jumped is we are having so much fun sailing her...all the time..:nerd:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Hey guys, give me a break. Please.

Rick & Christian - Hey guys, give me a break. I'm too old to go through the stress of both of you upgrading new boats at the same time.

One at a time, please.

bigtyme805

Member III
Christian don't think I ever really documented it on this site. I think a select few knew I was going. I had a website where there was a blog. When I sold that 27 I shut down the site. After the 27 I went to a 30+ and fitted that out and sold that boat. I now own an Oday and I race that up in Ventura and sail to the Channel Islands pretty frequently. I still hang around the Ericson site. Next boat will be the Ericson 34 and I have been looking. Nothing beats the lines of the Ericson. I would consider the 32 your selling, but I want the aft cabin big berth.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Rick & Christian - Hey guys, give me a break. I'm too old to go through the stress of both of you upgrading new boats at the same time.

One at a time, please.

No worries Tom. I'm in no hurry. I've been looking but haven't even listed our boat yet.

fscott007

Help me redo mine

I have great respect for you . I live in Redondo aboard my 1983 E38. I am upgrading it for the Baja Ha Ha next year and points beyond. Would love to meet you and get your opinion on mine. I would pay you for your time.

fscott007

I have great respect for you . I live in Redondo aboard my 1983 E38. I am upgrading it for the Baja Ha Ha next year and points beyond. Would love to meet you and get your opinion on mine. I would pay you for your time. I have upgrade Appenglo lighting, tank monitors, new water and fuel tanks and a M40B 37.5 hp diesel