• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I discovered I have the original Yacht Specialties Steering Manual, which covers installation, chain, cables, quadrant, stops, Morse cable control head attachments, and so on in detail.

YS is long out of business but was the OE manufacturer for many Ericsons.

See below.

A better version now available for download: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/resources/yacht-specalities-catalog-4.180/

Last edited:

Carefree Sailor

Member II
Possible to post the doc to the site?

Hi Christian,

Is it possible for you to post the entire document to the "Downloads" area on this site?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
YS Part 1

Garrett has offered to make a readable PDF for the archives. Meantime, here are images of the pages, in two parts. They can be made marginally readable by clicking on, thenzooming the browser screen:

YS 1.jpgYS 2.jpgYS 3.jpgYS 4.jpg

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
YS Part 2

[/img]YS detail.jpg

Attachments

• YS 5.jpg
    YS 5.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 165
  • YS 6.jpg
    YS 6.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 234
  • YS 7.jpg
    YS 7.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 277
  • YS 8.jpg
    YS 8.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Y/S Quadrant diagrams.

Christian, Thanks on behalf of all who will benefit from the diagrams you made available. They brought to mind the solution to a problem and a solution that happened on my watch. Reference page 29, illustration 16 and the clamps securing the cable to the eye. My steering cables were swaged to the eyes and when one eye crumbled at the weld due to crevice corrosion I was faced with having to replace both cables all the way back to the steering chain. Then I came up a work around which would allow me to use the existing cables. I pass this on to anyone facing the same dilemma, especially any E31 or E36 owners with quadrants exposed to the sea (the source of the corrosion). I bought a pair of CF Johnson T-bolt Toggle Jaws with two nuts each and replaced the factory welded eyes with them. I was able to somewhat quickly put it all back together and if ever anything like that were to happen again, all the hardware is easily replaceable. Please see the the attached image of my fix. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Attachments

• Hull #55, Y:S, Quadrant T-bolts.jpg
    Hull #55, Y:S, Quadrant T-bolts.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 909

SloopDogg

Hello All,
Did you manage to get a more readable version posted in the archives. I looked and tried a search but didn't come up with anything...
Thanks
Danny

willo

Member II
Fantastic. Glad to verify the cable types before I order replacements for my 46. I was amused that I only searched for yacht specialties cable info but ended up on the ericson yachts forum in the end.