• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E25+ Tiller Pilot Install

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I'm trying to install a Raymarine st1000 tiller pilot on my 1980 25+. 18" from the rudder post and 23.2" from center puts me on the lazarette hatch. If I move it outboard towards the cockpit combing with a 6" extension, the bump on the bottom of the tiller pilot hits the hatch. If I move it forward of the hatch, I'm about 22" from the rudder post and the pushrod would be hitting the tiller, not sitting above or below it. I'd like to avoid a riser on the lazarette sine its already a small cockpit and I don't want a bracket taking up more room. What have other 25+ owners done on their tiller pilot installs?

Glyn Judson

Where to drill a hole for the TillerPilot.

Dear friend, Many years ago I had the same set up as you describe and drilled a hole in the starboard lid on my 1979 E25+ hull #515. I'm in the process of helping a friend deliver her 1981 E25+ hull #646 and she has the same mounting location in hers as I did. Bite the bullet, mount that brass fitting in the starboard lid, scratch it off your "to do" list and go on to other projects. Gyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I'm trying to install a Raymarine st1000 tiller pilot on my 1980 25+. 18" from the rudder post and 23.2" from center puts me on the lazarette hatch. If I move it outboard towards the cockpit combing with a 6" extension, the bump on the bottom of the tiller pilot hits the hatch. If I move it forward of the hatch, I'm about 22" from the rudder post and the pushrod would be hitting the tiller, not sitting above or below it. I'd like to avoid a riser on the lazarette sine its already a small cockpit and I don't want a bracket taking up more room. What have other 25+ owners done on their tiller pilot installs?
Do your cockpit seats on the 25+ have hatches on both port and starboard sides? If not, then why not just mount it on the opposite side? If I'm not mistaken the ST1000 allows you to change the settings in its firmware so that you can mount it on either the port or starboard side. I'm not 100% sure of this but I believe it to be the case.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Port or Starboard

Do your cockpit seats on the 25+ have hatches on both port and starboard sides? If not, then why not just mount it on the opposite side? If I'm not mistaken the ST1000 allows you to change the settings in its firmware so that you can mount it on either the port or starboard side. I'm not 100% sure of this but I believe it to be the case.

I believe that you are correct.
Their site claims that the mounting is reversible, port or starboard.
http://www1.raymarine.eu/view/?id=748

I recall that the tiller pilot on our prior 26 footer also had this feature (Navico 2500 model, in the late 80's).

Loren

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Yup, I was planning on puting it on the port side so I don't have to work the wiring around the quarter birth. I'm still not wild about mounting it on the hatch, but I don't know if I have any other options. There have to be a few other people out there who have done this on an E25+ or E26.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Yup, I was planning on puting it on the port side so I don't have to work the wiring around the quarter birth. I'm still not wild about mounting it on the hatch, but I don't know if I have any other options. There have to be a few other people out there who have done this on an E25+ or E26.
I have an E26-2 with an ST2000 and it is mounted on the starboard side. My quarter berth has a zippered liner above it so the wiring is actually much easier on that side than to port. Plus, it's an easy and short run to the electrical panel, which is also on the starboard side. How is the 25+ set up?

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I have hatches on both sides and the quarter birth has a fiberglass headliner. Not the end of the world, but enough of a pain to make me want to go to the other side. Either way, 18" from the rudder post puts me on the hatch.

TakeFive

Member II
I'm not sure why you are opposed to putting the mounting socket through the hatch. It's epoxied in, won't leak, and is thin enough so you can sit on it.
The electrical outlet can go anywhere between the hatch and the cockpit sole. The protrusion doesn't interfere with with seating.
You can mount it on either side.

Keep it simple. You will really enjoy the autopilot on long journeys with low or no wind.

LEB

Member I
With extension.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160417_132705.jpg
    IMG_20160417_132705.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_20160417_132805.jpg
    IMG_20160417_132805.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_20160417_132845.jpg
    IMG_20160417_132845.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I really like how that turned out. I finally decided to place mine on the hatch because I couldn't figure out a way to clear the bump on the bottom of the tiller pilot when I had it that far back. What did you use to lift it up and was your tiller high enough or did you have to come up with a riser there too?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I like that "stand-by" position almost enough to consider reinstalling mine. I do have the rod extension in the parts bin somewhere. Is that rubber clip an actual RM part, or did you dig it up somewhere?

trickdhat: I recall that there are various extensions and adapters available to gain vertical height as well as rod length. I think there are part numbers in the back of the manual.

907Juice

Continuously learning
Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but that is the same place mine is installed... Although yours is a little nicer. The plastic is a little light when a large friend sits on it. Nothing a significant amount of caulking couldn't fix though!

LEB

Member I
I originally selected forward/aft position based upon where the tiller rose above the seat line. The clip is a Sea Dog pole storage clip. The tiller pilot normally stows under the port hatch.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160417_132932.jpg
    IMG_20160417_132932.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

lonokai

Member III
Do you by any chance have a photo or explanation of how the extension pole attaches to the device?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The gray plastic tip unscrews from the rod and the extension screws on in its place. The tip then threads on to the other end of the extension.

lonokai

Member III
I'm thinking that the extension is NOT actually part of the ST2000+, rather it is simply a tiller extension...I was unable to unscrew the knob. See photos of all I have to attach to the tiller. Perhaps I am missing some parts (tiller pin, mounting socket, etc..)..

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 25

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yes, you are missing some bits. That tiller extension has nothing to do with the autopilot. The thing screwed into the bulwark looks like it might be part of one of the optional brackets, but if so, you are missing part of it:
Sorry, inserting pics from iOS never seems to work around here. Photos can easily be found with Google.

The standard mounting kit includes a simple socket that looks like a thimble... Drill a hole in the seat and glue it in. And a pin mounted on the tiller... Drill a hole in the tiller and glue it in.