• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Teak plywood on inside where windws are...question.

I have a question, on my 1983 Mark 3 (Sketcher). Where the two fixed windows are on the inside there is the teak plywood.
Has anyone ever replaced this? Because of water leaks from this last storm (here on the East Coast) mine has become damaged.
Would like to replace....wondering about the thickness and if possible to get off without damaging the fiberglass outside framing.

Hilco Woudstra on Sketcher

markvone

Sustaining Member
Teak refinish info

Here is a link to a previous thread:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...994-Teak-Interior-Refinish-Project-Documented

I can't get Tim's link to his projects to work, I can only get to his home page. It might be my computer. He documented a pretty extensive rehab of his 35-3 interior teak and provides lots of detail and pictures. You can get some of the info from the questions and answers in the thread above. I've read the Blog a few times and I'll be trying to find it again and will post a link here if I find it.

In any case, since his plywood was generally in good shape, he just added a new teak veneer over much of the existing teak plywood. The factory plywood was 1/2 inch and he did replace some of it that was too water damaged to act as a base for new veneer. I am about to start this project for the area near all the ports. I am hoping to just add a veneer but I don't know how extensive my water damage is yet.

Mark

Here is a link to a previous thread:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...994-Teak-Interior-Refinish-Project-Documented

I can't get Tim's link to his projects to work, I can only get to his home page. It might be my computer. He documented a pretty extensive rehab of his 35-3 interior teak and provides lots of detail and pictures. You can get some of the info from the questions and answers in the thread above. I've read the Blog a few times and I'll be trying to find it again and will post a link here if I find it.

In any case, since his plywood was generally in good shape, he just added a new teak veneer over much of the existing teak plywood. The factory plywood was 1/2 inch and he did replace some of it that was too water damaged to act as a base for new veneer. I am about to start this project for the area near all the ports. I am hoping to just add a veneer but I don't know how extensive my water damage is yet.

Mark

Mark.....thank you for the link, very helpful. Sketcher only needs the port window area but will do both sides.
When I do this ...will send some photos.

Hilco on Sketcher

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Gentlemen, I am still here selling paint for the portlights surrounds.

I tell you it is much easier than reveneering and prepping for varnish. I claim it is logical, traditional and yar. I believe it is easy to touch up. I mutter that on many models there is too much varnish below decks anyhow. I observe that many yachts have curtains, which will hide most of a new veneering job.

I argue that the classic 31 is lovely below, notwithstanding some Grands Banks off-white or beige.

31 paint.jpg

See here: http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1977-ERICSON-Cruising-31-673771

I note that on my own boat, with paint on old veneer, it is hardly noticeable, and if noticed, looks like the factory put it there.

Yes, I am a convert. Re-veneering was my plan. It became a gigantic whirlpool of tail-chasing, and I gave it up and was glad I did.

See the light. Move toward it. Rise toward the sun of paint.

attachment.php
attachment.php
View attachment 17250

Attachments

• InteriorAft-001.jpg
    InteriorAft-001.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 358
  • interiorForward.jpg
    interiorForward.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Inside Shine...

The work done by the folks in the link was exceptional, however I do agree the interior is a little dark by modern standards.
I have been using teak-oil on the woodwork does anyone have any suggestions to lighten up the color in general?

While I admit that the off-white color is great when done right, it does require correct prep work to really look as good as it does on those Hinckley's. I might go with Formica(c) instead if facing the project anew.

In the meantime, I would note that our ongoing project to lighten up our interior is a good compromise, and it allows the high-dollar teak surface to show off.
I have put some photos and narrative up in a blog.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?107-Another-Fall-Another-Bulkhead

In this blog entry, you can see the bleached and varnished head door against the bulkhead before that bulkhead was refinished, for comparison.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?100-Vent-Method-for-Cabin-Doors

No wrong answers... just choices and options...
:)

Loren

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Ours is painted just like Mr Williams. It really brightened things up, even before we replaced the wood around the starboard fixed ports when we changed them out. Easy, clean and touch-ups a breeze.

Paint anyone?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Interlux Hatteras off-white. Near match to the color of the vinyl headliner.

The long version of my paint job is here.

Last edited:
painting

Starting to rethink the replacement of teak veneer.....painting is looking like a good option.

On Sketcher, with many thanks for your comments.

EGregerson

Member III
thickness of teak veneer plywood

Hi; I'm looking at the same problem. I don't know what boat u have; but mine has the aluminum trim around tempered glass and fixes with screws from the inside. All I can see to so is remove the window (hopefully not 3M5200; if so heat gun or hair dryer and gently pry it out); then measure the thickness of the plywood. I have water damage at the corner of the forward window; I've already stripped and varnished most of that piece bulkhead to bulkhead. Once it stops raining I'll remove the window and try patching in a section ( I know; probable yuck but I'm gonna try). If that fails then it's Grand Banks off white.

window

My boat, Sketcher is a 1983 35' mark 3. The windows sounds the same with inner screws, a rubber molding holding the glass.
Have not tried getting them out yet. Had taken out a leaky Bomer one years ago....what a JOB!

Hilco