• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking to buy an E27

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Hello there! This thread and my membership got lost in the transition. I received some great ideas on this boat from you guys. To continue:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/Ericson-27-2888936/Norfolk/VA/United-States#.VhLzS_lVikp

I am going to do a compression test Wednesday. I will pull all the plugs, cut the spark, and check each cylinder while the seller turns over the engine. I am looking for 85-110psi and similar readings for each. Sound about right? Any other ideas?

If that goes well the haul out is scheduled for Thursday. I'll look for: keel-rudder alignment, rudder, prop soundness, it's a Max prop so I'll rotate the blades, check for soundness, check thru hulls, blisters, de-laminating with visual smoothness & tapping w/ back of screwdriver. Condition of paint, anti foul. Anything else?

The rigging checked out as well, as the topside lamination, stanchions, wheel and anything else I could find and the DC electrics checked well. It is not on shore power, but I'd like it to be able to check that side of the house and the AC unit. The DC and AC did share a common ground. I haven't looked at the chain plates yet. This boat was really well maintained- is it necessary?

I still need to check the thru hulls on the inside and the head. There was a tiny bit of water left in the tank so that's all I could pump with the foot thingy. If we can get some light wind (we're having the lingering effects of a hurricane off the coast.) I will check the sails, but I have a feeling they're in the shape as advertised.

Please share your comments, observations and questions.

Bill McLean

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome, or welcome back, or something....

I guess you've agreed on a price, if you're hauling and doing sea trials. Do quietly check to make sure the sails are as advertised, since the inventory is not always accurate when listed by an estate.

Still sounds like a fine boat.

TakeFive

Member II
This has nothing to do with the survey, but if you buy the boat you might think about ditching the Kenyon alcohol stove and putting in an Origo 4000 in it's place. Kenyon pressurized stoves been around for years, many still in use I'm sure. I think the Origo's are simpler, less maintenance, and easier to use. It is almost a drop in replacement. Maybe a 1/4" cut required.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
This has nothing to do with the survey, but if you buy the boat you might think about ditching the Kenyon alcohol stove and putting in an Origo 4000 in it's place. Kenyon pressurized stoves been around for years, many still in use I'm sure. I think the Origo's are simpler, less maintenance, and easier to use. It is almost a drop in replacement. Maybe a 1/4" cut required.
Not to mention that pressurized alcohol stoves are downright scary! :0

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Origo

If you do decide to go in that direction I have a brand new "in the box" Origo 4100 I'd love to get my money back out of.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Bill,

Welcome. nice looking E27. There are some interesting modifications; "modern" metal cabin hatches, cockpit storage cubby holes and a seahood. good luck with the purchase.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Have bought E27

The compression test showed 87 to 90 lbs between the 4 cylinders. Check.

Sail inspection- they really are excellent- clean, no wear, stiff.4 headsails, one main.

Geeze great Harken mark lll furler!

Haul out= Hull no bumps or blisters. Paint- looks good till next season. 20 under 1/4 inch blisters port side of keel. Hmmm. What's that about?
Rudder, solid. 2 or 3 inches added to bottom- well done. Max prop barnacles scraped off, looks good.

Sea test- just running the engine up to the haul out and back- smooth and quiet. Apparently the engine was pulled last year. On photo no one knew about.

My crew (family) will take her out for a 10 mile cruise tomorrow to another marina on Chesapeake Bay. 15-20 mph winds predicted. I'm thinking of reefing since I have no experience with this boat or anything over 20 feet! Oh yeah, it is set up to reef from the cockpit. Sweet. I must have been awfully good.

Thank you for the comments and ideas. I ended up paying $6,300 for her.

Wish us fair winds and following seas tomorrow and no mention of us in Sunday's paper.