• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Repost: Actively looking for 35-3 or 34-2 in western WA

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Subject line pretty much says it - I've looked at other boats and can't see myself owning anything else.... problem is, there aren't any on the market in western WA.

If you're looking at the cost of storing over the winter and on the fence about selling, let me know. I'll be a good next-caretaker for your baby.

Bruce

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Tacky or okay?

There are a couple of Ericson 35-3s in a local marina, one of which looks like it hasn't been visited for a while. Plus another that is in dry storage, and looks like it has been there for a bit.

Am sitting on the fence about putting a note on them, saying something like "I'm actively looking for a 35-3, if you hear of one that might be coming onto the market would you please let me know?"...along with my contact info.

Not sure if that's an okay thing to do, or tacky. If you got a note like that on your boat, would it offend you?

B

mfield

Member III
I think it would be fine but I would also talk to the harbor master and get an try to get an address in case they don't visit for six months.

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
That's kind how a friend of mine bought exactly the boat he was looking for. He saw it walking the docks, and asked the harbor master if it would be possible to get in touch with the owner. About a month later, the boat was his.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

I would never be offended to receive such a note. Flattered, actually. It's always nice to know that my boat is desirable.

Having said that, I would also look up the owner in your State registration records and, if the harbormaster would not pass along my note, just write directly to the owner.

Be kind of prepared for a rejection, albeit a polite one. :)

Sidebar:
Ever since the early 90's, there is a late-80's Islander 34 parked in a marina downstream from PDX. It's one of the "modern" designs and actually a nice looking design. The out-out-state owner has rejected all offers for 20 years. He visits it about once a year and puts another tarp over the boom... and over the rotting mainsail cover. The furling jib is rotted. Small trees grow up from the accumulation of slime at the waterline. Once about a decade ago I walked over to it and (lightly!) laid a hand on a stanchion.... the whole deck surface flexed. This tells me that the coring is long ago rotted out underneath. It is one sad sad situation.
Last I heard from the harbormaster, the owner still will not even discuss selling it. He does pay the moorage fee every month, though.
At this point it's just a major project with a negative value anyway. Big Sigh.... :rolleyes:

Best of luck,
Loren

ps: come to Portland and make me an offer...... :egrin:

Last edited: