• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What can I expect at haul out?

photobug

Member II
I am looking to repair my stuffing box but also could use a bottom paint job. I think has been 6 years since it was done last. What can I expect and what other maintenance should I perform when the boats on the hard?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Observe any blisters when first hauled (they disappear when dry). Usually just cosmetic.

Observe seepage from keel attachment to hull. May indicate keel bolts issue.

Look for seepage from rudder, indicating waterlogged. Rudder lower bearing check--lateral movement?

Check engine water intake screen. Often they're clogged by barnacles inside and yard may not notice.

Prop and shaft check. Zincs check.

Through-hull fittings, how bad do they look?

Bottom paint. Check with marina about best choice, taking into account new horizon of regulations.

My current theory is one coat only. Reasons: one day, the multiple layers of paint on my hull will have to be scraped off. Paint is expensive, so why add more layers. Bottom paint lasts maybe 18 months before rapid decline in effectiveness . A diver scrubs my hull monthly, anyhow. That keeps it fairly clean even at the end of bottom paint life.

Maintain strong risk analysis posture as the yard and friends lectures you about what absolutely must be done to be safe etc.

Old, battered boats are often sailed for fun. When fun stops, buy a newer one.

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Wow, 6 years, that's pretty good!

Other items:

1. Lube the thru hulls.
2. Observe where the scum line is and determine if boot stripe needs to be adjusted accordingly.
3. Wax and buff the sides.