• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

hank on jib to roller furling

admirals barge

Member III
hi all

I'm converting the jib from hank on to a roller furling on a 74 35II. I'm not a racer, more of a cruising sailor. I presently have 3 sails on the boat. a 110,140 and 160. I'd like to convert one of the sails for a spare and get a new jib to put on the roller furling. I was thinking about the 160 for the spare. I would like to know what size jib other 35 owners are using so I can get a feel for what I want to buy...

thanks for your input

greg

Greg, I have a '83 Mark 3. Started out with hanked on sails, a 110 & 155. Then converted them over to roller. The 155 became a 150 (cutting down to clear the fuller).
I sail in North Carolina which can have light winds in the summer, my 155 works very well in these winds. Also can roll up a little and still give power.[

Comment...I never use my 110 any more.

Hilco on Sketcher

QUOTE=admirals barge;94098]hi all

I'm converting the jib from hank on to a roller furling on a 74 35II. I'm not a racer, more of a cruising sailor. I presently have 3 sails on the boat. a 110,140 and 160. I'd like to convert one of the sails for a spare and get a new jib to put on the roller furling. I was thinking about the 160 for the spare. I would like to know what size jib other 35 owners are using so I can get a feel for what I want to buy...

thanks for your input

greg[/QUOTE]

admirals barge

Member III
thanks for the reply and info.
I am going to take the sails to be evaluated as to there longevity. I'm thinking a new jib and the best for a spare if the larger sails are getting tired...

tnx

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My opinion is that you'll love your new roller genoa, never take it off, and be pleased with its shape when partially furled. Check out a UK tape drive cruising genoa, or similar. Get the padded luff.

A non-overlapping backup is nice to have, it just tacks easier in windy seasons. But changing roller headsails is awkward, especially alone, and there is rarely any reason to do it.

Last edited: