• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

LAYLA II our I 31 finally back in the water after 4 (long) years

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
LAYLA ended up ashore for 4 years, precipitated initially by storm damage in August 2011 that lead to the need for foredeck repairs and replacement of the bow sprit. The lay-up extended with me working away from home and in time adding scope to the refit.
We did;
Teak coaming trim, teak cockpit grating panels, the new toeboard arrangement including 28" bronze stanchions, Ideal windlass/ 200'+ of 5/16" chain/ 35 Lb CQR anchor. Interior work was confined to the v-berth cabin consisting of replacing the rest of the factory vinyl with painted (white) cedar T & G on the ceilings and deckhead.
We launched in July and had a 16 day coastal cruise around the Northumberland Straight between PEI, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, only disappointment was not being able to use my new Harken Furler, I had a new forestay built at the Binnacle 3 years ago based on fitting the new bow sprit. The order included instructions to leave the wire 6" long and provide a loose Staylock terminal end. Once we stood the mast two things were apparent, the stay was several inches short and I would be unable to fit the Harken foil joiner sleeves since they had swedged the bottom thread terminal on. So, added a toggle and resorted to my old hank-on Jib. THe Binnacle are supposed to be providing me with a "long" Staylock being ordered in from the UK.
We had the pleasure of having "golden doodle" LUCY along with us, she was introduced to the boat as a pup four years ago and had not been on a boat since. A few anxious days for us and her settled into a great trip. We got to a beach every day to swim and exercise Miss LUCY and she settled in to the boating routine beautifully.
A few images attached:

Attachments

• Victoria 1.jpg
    Victoria 1.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Charlottetown cockpit view.jpg
    Charlottetown cockpit view.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Merigomish 5.jpg
    Merigomish 5.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 607
  • Foredeck windlass aditiond.jpg
    Foredeck windlass aditiond.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Victoria 5.jpg
    Victoria 5.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very nice indeed.

Lots of exterior varnish , if that's what it is. What product did you go with, any special prep such as penetrating epoxy?

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Teak finish

Very nice indeed.

Lots of exterior varnish , if that's what it is. What product did you go with, any special prep such as penetrating epoxy?

Christian,
Maybe I'm a beggar for punishment but the chosen finish is Sikkens Cetol® Marine Natural Teak. (not the orange tint!)
The boat was under cover/ building stored the past 4 years and it makes a remarkable (obviously) difference in the degree of degradation to coatings. My hope is to arrange inside storage again for this winter, in those terms the northern latitudes cause less UV damage and I'll hopefully limit my exposure to 4 to 5 months a year, tops.

And then we have uploading a sandy Dog that's just been for a swim! She's happy.

Attachments

• Victoria 6.jpg
    Victoria 6.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Merigomish 2.jpg
    Merigomish 2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 111