• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking for Ericson 27 Sailboat Near Kentucky

Hillbillywander

I pretty much had my mind set up to buy a Catalina 27 for the last year or so but recently have been looking at the E27. Big problem I have is I live in Kentucky and well not many sailboats around let alone an E27. I joined this forum in hopes of finding a boat I could look at in person to see if that is what I want. I always have enjoyed a good road trip. Any help out there?

Jeff Smith

Looking for Ericson 27 as well Southern Indiana/Kentucky Region

I have an Ericson 23-2, that I keep on Patoka lake in southern Indiana, but I was installing an engine in my friends cabin cruiser in Florida a few weeks ago, and there was an Ericson 27 there for sale. I started looking around here for one, and had one picked out in Minnesota, but it just sold. I'm with you, I'd like to check one out if there's one around. I am really wanting a steering wheel and diesel inboard. There's one just north of Effingham Illinois I may go look at, but it has a tiller and outboard. keep in touch. :egrin:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Jeff,
Tiller and outboard is what I have. Might I mention that maintenence is a breeze! No strut, packing gland, gas tank issues (like rust) and fewer thru hulls. If I have a motor problem, I can take it in to a shop. Wheel stearing is far more complicated than it's worth to me. All those cables and pullies - I have a stick. Very little to service or fail. Nothing more exciting than loosing stearage. Plus single-handing is a breeze and the spacious cockpit is comfortable even with a medium sized dog.

Jeff Smith

Thanks Grant

You're right about the versatility of an outboard. Have a problem? Take it off, and into the garage. I just happen to love Diesels, so the soft clacking is music to my ears. I am also an industrial mechanic, so I enjoy challenges. My brother and I just installed a big Chrysler 400 in my friends 36' cabin cruiser. He said all of his friends told him to cut the deck to put it in, but we rigged it and got it in just using an overhead crane! I have an E23-2 now, that has a 10 hp honda and tiller, I guess we were just wanting to try something different. But thanks for the advice. We are just on a local lake, so any problem would be pretty easy to take care of.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I love mine. How about a road trip to Norfolk? You're welcome to visit. Maybe even sail.

Last edited:

Hillbillywander

I have an Ericson 23-2, that I keep on Patoka lake in southern Indiana, but I was installing an engine in my friends cabin cruiser in Florida a few weeks ago, and there was an Ericson 27 there for sale. I started looking around here for one, and had one picked out in Minnesota, but it just sold. I'm with you, I'd like to check one out if there's one around. I am really wanting a steering wheel and diesel inboard. There's one just north of Effingham Illinois I may go look at, but it has a tiller and outboard. keep in touch. :egrin:

They really do seem to be awesome boats! I am in no big hurry to buy one and just waiting till I find the deal I want. I currently have a Cat 22 that I sail on Cave Run Lake. Or at least I try. Working on redoing the keel and bottom right now for faster racing. Looks like I will be crewing this year. I bought a trailer so when I find the deal I want all I have to do is pick it up myself! Let us know when you find the boat you want.

woolamaloo

Member III
Are you still looking? I know of three close together. Last August, I saw one with a for sale sign in a marina in Port Clinton, Ohio. I didn't inspect it but I didn't spot anything that made me sad. It looked like it might have been on the hard for a year or so. You can call the marina to see if it's still there. http://www.brandsmarina.com/ You can actually see it on Google Maps. https://goo.gl/maps/vWNf44F5SKM2 (It's got a big viking on its bow)

This one is a few miles away on Catawba Island. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/Ericson-27-2670945/Port-Clinton/OH/United-States

And, there's a third in Sandusky. (about 16 miles from the other two) https://sandusky.craigslist.org/boa/5524293315.html

That looks like a worthwhile road trip to me.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Don't overlook the E-26 in your searches either, they are almost sisters. The E-26 has the same sail area as the e-27 but a slightly lighter displacement, longer waterline and more modern and efficient rudder and keel, also you'll most likely find one with a diesel engine instead of a gas universal.

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
E27 IN Deltaville VA

There is a pretty nice looking, maybe needs some TLC, 1976 E27 at Deltaville VA, on the Chesapeake just south of where the Rappahannock comes in.. It is even diesel powered, roller furling, pedestal steering.. Priced really well, $6,500.00. Been there for a while, probably they would take less. As far as I know virtually no difference between a 76 and a 77. I have a 77.

http://dycboat.com/used-sail-inventory/

celtic sea

Member III
Well sold the 27, bought an Ericsson 35 1975, refurbished with new yanmar diesel. Searching site now for everything 35!!
John
E35
Past 27
Everything Ericson!
Celtic Sea
Butterfly E35