• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 31, new engine???

Emerald

Agree - I think you'll find your new A4 serves you very well. And don't give the alignment a second thought either. Don't change the height adjustment on your old mounts, if you replace them, match the new up as close as you can, and I think you'll be surprised how little fiddling you need to do. It's not hard to do an alignment, just a little patience and care.

Congrats on getting this sorted out :egrin:

TakeFive

Member II
Local craigslist ad lists a Universal 3 cylinder M-25X for $3500. Hours = 185.
Engine looks like it has been hit with a can of gray spray paint at some point.
Paint is worn off edges of radiator cap indicating years of checks. Incompatible with 185 hours of usage.
You could buy a used engine for $3500, spend another $3000 for installation, and end up with a worn out engine.
There is another ad for a Bukh DV20 at $850 that looks like it is brand new.
A Yanmar 3GM30F with 800 hours for $2500. You just never know.
I think you will be very pleased with your rebuilt A4

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Local craigslist ad lists a Universal 3 cylinder [FONT=verdana, geneva]M-25X for $3500. Hours = 185.
Engine looks like it has been hit with a can of gray spray paint at some point.
Paint is worn off edges of radiator cap indicating years of checks. Incompatible with 185 hours of usage.
You could buy a used engine for $3500, spend another $3000 for installation, and end up with a worn out engine.
I think you will be very pleased with your rebuilt A4

[/FONT]

I agree with being very cautious about any "used" engine. I have two friends that sold their old running-and-rebuildable small diesels when they put in new Beta's.
Both received around $500. for the engine/trans, on a pallet. There was no deception, and presumably the buyer knew as much as they said they did about refurbishing their purchase.

Loren

Last edited:

steven

Sustaining Member
thanks all. I'm thinking of keeping the old one so I can tear it down and see what makes it tick. It's got so many new parts it will probably be worth more than the core allowance anyway. Actually it runs great - when it runs. But I can't figure out what big or little thing is going to go next. so time to replace.

Anyway, I love this boat . She deserves a new engine (and a new main - that's in the cards for next summer).

--Steve

dt222

Member III
Steve,

I don't remember that you said that the current engine ran at all. There is a huge difference between an A4 that doesn't run at all, and one that runs and then quits. Spend some time on the Moyer discussion board and review all of the past posts there about engines running then cutting out. You may not even need a new engine.

If the engine runs, the compression is good on all cylinders, there is not water in the oil, nor oil in the water (exhaust), temp and oil pressure is good, goes into gear (forward and reverse) well, then you're actually in pretty good shape. It could be as simple as doing a tune-up.

Don

steven

Sustaining Member
Don,

you inspired me to spend a half day making adjustments - which maybe were not done when the fuel pump was replaced - and she is now running fine. (except the transmission hasn't felt exactly right since I let a yard repack the stuffing box; it's probably not fundamental, but just another adjustment)

Very nice little power plant when it's working. Quiet, smooth, and economical.

Problem is, I just don't know how to anticipate the next thing that will go wrong.
Maybe a new engine will solve that for awhile (?).

--Steve

dt222

Member III
Don,

you inspired me to spend a half day making adjustments - which maybe were not done when the fuel pump was replaced - and she is now running fine. (except the transmission hasn't felt exactly right since I let a yard repack the stuffing box; it's probably not fundamental, but just another adjustment)

Very nice little power plant when it's working. Quiet, smooth, and economical.

Problem is, I just don't know how to anticipate the next thing that will go wrong.
Maybe a new engine will solve that for awhile (?).

--Steve

Steve,

I should have suggested this before as you are in Annapolis. Check out he vendor list for the boat show - Moyer Marine is usually there. Meet the folks and pick up copy of their A4 manual- often referred to as the A4 bible. It will lead you through all recommended maintenance and fixes from simple to complete rebuild

As far as transmission, if it isn't going into gear (forward ) or is slipping out of gear, that is an adjustment to a collar that is easily made and covered in the manual and in postings on the Moyer discussion board.