• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E23 swing keel centerboard trunk leak

Timothy3821

Hello, Im new to the site and the boat. I have a 75 E23 and we seem to be taking on water from the tube running down thru the hull for the centerboard cable. The water rushes in sporatically while under way. The rubber seal on top the tube is dryrotten and damaged. I was wondering if there is a better rapair than just using another piece of rubber with an X cut in it like the original. Possibly someone makes a plug or seal kit for it??
love the boat Btw, sails very nice!

Glyn Judson

Cable tube leak.

Dear friend, Welcome to the group, I hope we can help you with this and other questions you might have in the future. Let me start by saying I've never seen the tube in question but can only guess what it looks like. If the cable rides in the center of the tube when in use, maybe some sort of rubber stopper with a hole in the center like one of these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#tapered-plugs/=yn39g4 would fit the bill. DOn't rule out enlarging the hole to accommodate the cable size,and if well seated, a slit cut into the side to ease installation shouldn't leak all that much if at all. Determine the tube size and order several, one to experiment with, one to possibly modify and at least one or more as spares, they're cheap enough. Maybe just the taper itself, swiftly jammed in place would be enough to hold it secure or make two saw cuts on either side of the tube near the top and use seizing wire or even solid strand, copper electrical wire to fit into the notches, then twist tightly around the tube. Sorry if I'm all of base but maybe at least some of the above will serve to stir your imagination to come up with something even better. Does any of this make sense? Go for it and report back with the result, we all want to know, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Timothy3821

Thanks Glyn, were on the right track. The tube is rectangular in shape. Roughly 3"x4". The original has a flat sheet of rubber with an X slot in it where the cable rides. It attaches by just folding over the top of the tube and is just tied in place. I could use the same design just seems a little too simple. I know Water is a fact of life in a sailboat but im hoping to minimize its impact.

Glyn Judson

A chunk of rubber.

Timothy, I just looked at 1" X 12" X 12" hard rubber on the McMaster-Carr site and it's out of this world but something that might work, isn't. Still into a local truck tire facility and ask if you could cut several thick cleats from one of their junk tires. I'll bet you could make your own 3" X4" plug from the material, deep enough to do the job. Also, you could secure the plug in the tube box, then drill a couple of holes or four for that matter, near the top and use stainless steel sheet metal screws driven right into the rubber to hold it secure. 3M Scotch-Weld Neoprene Rubber and Gasket Adhesive or 3M Company 8001 Yellow Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. I can attest from personal experience that the 8001 adhesive is beyond aggressive, once it's on and cured, it is near impossible to break the bond without starting to destroy the rubber. Maybe vou could stack the rubber chunks to make a good and deep plug. Actually this is starting to should like fun and a challenge at the same time. Can anyone else suggest a source for Timothy to get his hands on some thick rubber? Glyn

Tempest

Member I
I used a piece of pond liner, cut it into a cone and zip tied it to the CB trunk at one and to the bottom of the block at the other end. She's been tight as a drum ever since. I have a drawing which I will upload to the files section if I can.

*ETA* I can't upload to the files section so I'll start a thread with a google drive link.

Last edited: