Instruments

Tomriherd

I am in the process of replacing old instruments on binnacle, speed, compass, depth, with modern digital on my 1987E28-2. Have looked at various options and am now considering LOWRANCE ELITE7.
to do the job with added charting as a benefit. Any opinions as to other choices or have I done enough homework!
Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lowrance

Given that most folks seem happy with their choices, and that some of us are "opinionated" about the various brands that we have tried and liked or disliked....
I will submit that the Lowrance plotter/radar combo we installed a couple seasons ago is light years easier to use than the earlier Garmin gear.

We have the model that allows radar as an overlay, side by side with charting, or either function on full screen. I believe that it's the HDS-9 Gen2 Touch.
Anyhow, the "hi def" radar is way easier to use than the previous radar technology.

I did not add the Lowrance DS transducer to the mix because we have a well-proven Raymarine ST-60 sounder already, and I was running out of budget $.

Also, you mentioned replacing a compass. I had ours rebuilt for less than the replacement cost. Something to consider.
Recently a friend with an E-38 had his compass rebuilt, too.

Check my blog for that project on our boat.

Opinions rendered while U wait....
:)

Loren

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
14259030.jpg

Five-inch screen Garmin 50s comes with charts, fathometer-fishfinder, GPS speed, and can use transducer that shoots through the hull.

$400 range, retail. Anything in this category works well and will take you to Hawaii, with GCR waypoints, and a superb large-scale chart of remote anchorages there.

Man, has technology gotten cheap.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If mounting on the pedestal guard, one thing that most general retailers will not tell you is to check the manufacturer's warning (before you buy) for safe compass distance. Over half of the current plotters, maybe way over half, use a powerful perm. magnet to hold their little chip door closed. You want the model that uses a friction catch.

Look in their install manuals - available on line in pdf format - for this distance. It will range from 17 to 30 inches. We were allowed to borrow several new plotters from our local marine electronics shop and try them in the planed mounting position on the binnacle guard. Two of them noticeably swung the compass card 5 to 15 degrees. The model we chose did not.

Our local compass adjustor told me that some models, despite the warnings, will allow reliable use of the compass, but many will not. He is pragmatic and just sez to trial fit the location, watching carefully, and if it works, it works.

The underlying problem is that all of these companies, including the ones that buy full page ads in "sailing" magazines, engineer their products for the 98% of boating customers with smaller power boats. Those folks can locate instruments anywhere on a dash board, or.... just do not care about ever navigating with a compass.

The additional irony is that when surveying very similar products from a vendor group of companies like Simrad, Lowrance, and B&G, their plotters have no uniformity at all in use of these magnets. Same for Raymarine and Garmin.

It perhaps goes without saying... that like your flashlight, pliers, and portable vhf you park in the cup holder on that same binnacle, you will have to remove all those interfering devices, along with your suddenly-useless plotter, if you lose power and fall back on compass and paper chart to navigate your boat. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, just recall the advice from the Aged Knight to Indiana Jones when contemplating all of those cups:
"You must choose, but choose wisely, for as the real grail brings eternal life, the false grail brings death".

Interesting, the stuff you learn from movies!
:0

Loren

Last edited:
chartplotter/sonar advice

14259030.jpg

Five-inch screen Garmin 50s comes with charts, fathometer-fishfinder, GPS speed, and can use transducer that shoots through the hull.

$400 range, retail. Anything in this category works well and will take you to Hawaii, with GCR waypoints, and a superb large-scale chart of remote anchorages there.

Man, has technology gotten cheap.

I'm looking at the Garmin echoMAP 74dv chartplotter/sonar unit. It's on sale for $549 at West Marine over the Thanksgiving holiday. It looked like a great deal until I did some research and found out that the transom mount transducer that comes in the kit is not recommended for sailboats, so I have to buy an additional transducer, either an in-hull or thru-hull. The recommended thru-hull transducer (GT-21TH) is $450 from Garmin ($425 from WM) plus I need to buy extension cables and an adapter to convert form 8-pin to 4-pin. I contacted Garmin and asked them if they sold the 74dv without a transducer or if they would accept the included transducer and credit it to a purchase of the thru-hull one, but they said no on both accounts, and recommended that I sell the included transom-mount transducer on a marine exchange site such as The Hull Truth. So, this great deal is turning out to be closer to $1000, which means that I might as well look for a similar unit from another manufacturer that comes with a thru-hull transducer. Ugh.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good chartplotter/sonar unit in this price range ($500-$700)? Or is the Garmin actually worth the extra money when you factor in the thru-hull transducer? My current chart plotter is a Garmin Montana 600 that I mount to the curved bar at the helm. The Montana is OK, except that it has a touch screen, which I love on my phone and iPad but I hate on an instrument at the helm. One of my friends that drives the boat on races when it's his turn to drive likes to poke the screen with his finger for some reason and he frequently manages to the get Montana into some state where it will stop recording the track, or start navigating to some waypoint unrelated to where we want to go ;-) The echoMAP 74dv has no touchscreen and real, physical buttons.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Seascape Montana 2.jpg
    Seascape Montana 2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 357
  • Seascape Montana 1.jpg
    Seascape Montana 1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 357

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The shoot-through-the-hull transducer I installed was about $100--Airmar P72 trolling motor mount transducer/500w w/temperature/8-pin connector].

It works well as a depthsounder to about 900 feet.