• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 1978 25+ Questions

stovebolt

Hi there!

As a new member I have some questions regarding a 25+. What is the value of a nice condition, 1978 25+ with a sail drive inboard? It appears the boat I'm looking at has a cambered mast which I find strange. There is an average amount of tension on the rear stay. What should I pay attention to when inspecting a 25+ of this vintage.

Here's the details:

The sails are decent.
Deck and mast step are solid.
Interior very nice.
No leaks, a small amount of water in the bilge, about 3/8 to 1/2 inch.
The paint on the decks and above the water line on the hull looks good.
Tiller has bee changed out for a wheel... I think I'd go back t the tiller, the wheel cramps the cock pit big time.
Head looks good.
Compass doesn't work.
Raymarine depth and knot meter work appear to work.
Electrical works well. Wiring looks clean.
Overall good to very good condition.

I know my way around looking at cars and motorcycles, not boats. But I know when something has bee taken care of, this boat certainly has.

The asking price is 11,500 USD... seems steep.

Comments please!

Thanks,
SL

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi there!

As a new member I have some questions regarding a 25+. What is the value of a nice condition, 1978 25+ with a sail drive inboard? It appears the boat I'm looking at has a cambered mast which I find strange. There is an average amount of tension on the rear stay. What should I pay attention to when inspecting a 25+ of this vintage.

Here's the details:

The sails are decent.
Interior very nice.
Tiller has bee changed out for a wheel... I think I'd go back t the tiller, the wheel cramps the cock pit big time.
Head looks good.
Compass doesn't work.

I know my way around looking at cars and motorcycles, not boats. But I know when something has bee taken care of, this boat certainly has.
Comments please!

Thanks,
SL

The price of a new spar is probably equal or greater than the price of the boat. I would get some outside opinion on a "cambered mast" and I am not really sure just what is being described. If there is "paint" on the hull and deck and it looks good, then someone must have painted over the original gel coat. Are you sure you are describing paint?

If it has an original OMC gasoline engine sail drive, it may be extremely difficult to source any parts for it. Some of those are still running fine, albeit with the usual fuel problems found in maintaining any vintage two-stroke engine.

Going out on a limb here.... maybe too far out.... but a vessel like that would be hard pressed to bring more than 5 or 6K in our market (Portland, OR). And that would be for a sail-away boat with a decent aux. engine.
Where is the boat located?
Is there a listing for it on line?

Thanks,
Loren

ps: Here's one from a listing on the 'net. How does your boat compare?
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/Ericson--2675593/Muskegon/MI/United-States#.Vc_j5Isxap4

pps: Are you located in Vancouver BC or Washington? :)

Last edited:

jackie

Hi there!

Here's the details:

The sails are decent.
Interior very nice.
Head looks good.
Compass doesn't work.

Comments please!

Thanks,
SL
Did you buy the 25+ a few years back? If so did you learn that the pedestal steering came with the boat when new? Additionally, what brand was said system; Yacht Specialties? Reason I ask is I am un the midst of purchasing a 1980 same model & it has pedestal but I am not clear on the brand and it is having problems.
Thanks,
Jack