• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Report on E34 windlass installation

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nice job, good documentation.

Thinking through and executing a project like that is what it's all about.

Congrats!

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Welcome to the wonderful world of push button anchoring!

Great looking project. We used ours twice on Sunday (the first drop didn't set). One of the better improvements we've made.
Congrats!

Ericsean

Member III
Windlass

Please follow the link below to read a report on my recently completed windlass installation. It's in the form of a 12-slide presentation.

https://docs.google.com/presentatio...D6AYM/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=60000

Comments and questions are welcome.

Stefan

Thanks for the advice! I started to try and take that pan out on my #38, but not too hard.
Will cut it out as you suggested. I've been thinking about cutting the locker door in half, so I can store a washdown hose in there.
Would reinforce the forward triangle portion of the door and glass it in. then use the rear of the door for access.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Stefan,

Good job documenting. Stefan and I did our windlass installation about the same time (it seems to be epidemic amongst the 34's). Ours is nearly the same except that Stefan opted for an all chain rode where I retained the chain/nylon rode combo. He added a chain stopper where I added a stout stainless bollard. I won't post mine as it pretty well duplicates Stefan's presentation

I was in Friday Harbor last week with a club cruise. I decided not to bother you as we were quite busy. Thanks for the incredible weather! There is a "new" E-38 on Orcas Island. Nice guy. I'll send you a private e-mail with the details and maybe you can hook up.

Last edited:

Teranodon

Member III
... I've been thinking about cutting the locker door in half...

That's a good idea, and I believe others have done it. After all, you will have a nice "floor" left. A little bit of access will be a good thing, too. On the other hand, you will be left with only one hinge, and you will have water coming in through the cut (you could devise some kind of "gutter", maybe). Whatever you do, don't repeat my mistake of hacking up the lid of the pan. And don't mess with the pulpit unless you really have to.

Babylon, NY! What a great name. My first memory of sailing is from Fire Island in the fifties.

Stefan

Ericsean

Member III
Babylon

Stefan

I'll be on Fire Island in less than a month! Babylon is on the south shore of Great South Bay, so that is my cruising grounds!
Still nice over there. You can drive there now with a bridge to public beaches on the east end of FI, but all the communities to the west are mainly accessed via boat.

Kevin

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I did cut the anchor locker door in half and routed a recess for an additional hinge in the opening part. I sprayed gel coat on the routed part. I retained the front hinge. It looks like the whole hatch opens to the casual observer. I put a dam at the front of the shelf and drained the shelf through the original locker drain hole so it dosen't drip onto the anchor rode. Being able to straighten the rode of any tangles from the deck is worth it's weight in gold. Also, there is easy access to the nuts holding the windlass and bollard down. You can also reach the nuts for the forestay strap.

If anyone is interested in the hatch, I can post just the pictures of the hatch.

Ericsean

Member III
Windlass

Picture(s) would be great! Did you mount the Windlass to the front or rear section of the locker door? I'm assuming you modified the pan as well?