• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sailing my Ericson to the Bahamas

Hello everyone I have question regarding blue water sailing in my Ericson.

Given the draft of my new (well 1976 new) Ericson being 3'9 would crossing the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas from the ICW be possible? Of course if I plan the crossing at the most favorable wind and current window, would this be a safe trip? Or should I wait until I move up to a 30+ in the future, and for now just keep with the ICW and FL. Keys?
Your experience and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Chris

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ericson 27

Remember that advice is free and worth what you pay!
:)

Given the capabilities of the E-27, I have zero doubt about the boat (if well maintained).
Sisterships have crossed the Pacific and another one sailed to Cuba and back from Florida.
Not knowing your abilities and experience, there is just no way to say absolutely "yes" or "no"....
:rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:
Bahamas trip

Remember that advice is free and worth what you pay!
:)

Given the capabilities of the E-27, I have zero doubt about the boat (if well maintained).
Sisterships have crossed the Pacific and another one sailed to Cuba and back from Florida.
Not knowing your abilities and experience, there is just no way to say absolutely "yes" or "no"....
:rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

Thanks Loren,
I have really just started with my sailing instruction. i completed basic (light wind) and have the basic keel course in two weeks, The Bahamas idea was for after a year as I try my hand in the Chesapeake and ICW. I plan on many adventures the more salty I become. I have been in the Navy for over 10 years but never really got the chance to truly sail. I am ready for the next step.
Regards,
Chris

JPS27

Member III
Welcome

Welcome! I'm in the same boat as you (pun intended, sorry). Have an E27 in Hampton. I have similar goals as you and this site is invaluable. So much knowledge to draw on. There is an Ericson 27 facebook group you should look for if you haven't found it already.

jay

Bahamas trip

When we sailed to the Bahamas, we left from Anglefish Creek and sailed to Bimini. We sailed across with a Cal 27, a Pearson Triton 28, a Cheoy Lee (don't recall the length), a 40ft steel hull schooner and a Bahamian fishing smack that was around 30'. Of course, our E32 arrived first. I don't see a problem with you crossing and cruising the Bahamas. I know a couple that sailed a 15' plywood open sailboat I gave them from near Buffalo NY to Belhaven NC. With a psychotic Siamese cat no less! Just build up your knowledge and skill set. Make sure that your vessels are seaworthy and you are prepared. Just basic stuff to feel comfortable with being on the water and the elements. You will also gain a lot of knowledge and confidence with your trip south. You have an adventure to look forward to.

Thanks to all for the advice. I signed up for the keel boat course at the end of the month. I am taking a larger "knockabout" into the bay this Sunday to get used to using the main sail winch. Sailing has been in the works ever since I was an E-3 on a flight deck rover watch in Norfolk, and a 27'-30' sailboat cruised past me on the waterfront and the people on board were waving and having a much better time at sea than I was. Cheers to all, and yes this is going to be terrific!:egrin:
Regards,
Chris

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6779.jpg
    IMG_6779.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6435.jpg
    IMG_6435.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 106

paul culver

Member III
If you haven't done so yet I would recommend training in basic navigation (the kind with paper chart, dividers and protractor) as part of your preparation, even if you are carying a bagful of GPS receivers.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A "record" at the time, and for later

If you haven't done so yet I would recommend training in basic navigation (the kind with paper chart, dividers and protractor) as part of your preparation, even if you are carying a bagful of GPS receivers.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

That's a good back up to have, too. Do use your GPS to get your lat and lon, every hour and write it down. And... pencil a little X onto your paper chart as well for each gps "fix'.
You will have a record of your course in case your electronics fail you... AND a cool record to take back home and post on your wall for awhile to re-live the adventure.
:egrin:

One more thing, keep a "rough" or deck log in some sort of notebook - it does not have to be fancy - and later you and the family can have it to look over and jog your recollection, while sitting inside with your hot chocolate on a rainy winter night.

Loren

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Welcome! I'm in the same boat as you (pun intended, sorry). Have an E27 in Hampton. I have similar goals as you and this site is invaluable. So much knowledge to draw on. There is an Ericson 27 facebook group you should look for if you haven't found it already.

jay

Welcome indeed "crittyrobinson". Yes please feel free to join the Ericson 27 Owners Group on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ericson27Owners/
We have 84 active members so far. And Jay would really like to know what type of Prop you have. Right Jay? :egrin:

You might also want to add your boat's name and location to the Ericson 27 Owners locations on Google Maps at: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zRXFvq6_RDtw.kuQeVRyoXU9o

S/V Risico

Hi guys and gals.
I updated the location of our 27' Ericsson we are currently on the hard at Yankee Point marina in Va. We are installing a Volvo diesel next week and hope to be on the water NLT mid September. It's great to be a part of the community. If you get the Ian Fleming title of our boat than you're just as much a Bond nerd as I am. Glad to be aboard!
Regards,
Chris

Last edited:

JPS27

Member III
Affirmative on the prop info

Welcome indeed "crittyrobinson". Yes please feel free to join the Ericson 27 Owners Group on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ericson27Owners/
We have 84 active members so far. And Jay would really like to know what type of Prop you have. Right Jay? :egrin:

You might also want to add your boat's name and location to the Ericson 27 Owners locations on Google Maps at: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zRXFvq6_RDtw.kuQeVRyoXU9o

You're right, Captain Jeff! It would be great if Chris could let us know what size prop he has. I don't recall if Chris said what type of engine he has.

Jay