• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 30+ Mast step support question

mustangxr

Hi Everyone,
Re: 1981 E30+. I know that the mast step had some problems with the factory setup. What I see is an aluminum plate, about 1/4 inch thick resting on the fiberglass webbing across the keel stub. Of course the aft web support precluded seeing the support structure ahead of it so I am unable to see how the front of the plate was supported.

Could anyone tell me if this sounds right and maybe have a picture of a corrected mast step?

Thank you in advance

Cheers, Peter

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Peter,

I noticed that a number of people have viewed your post, but nobody has replied yet. It may be because like me, they might be puzzled--I have a 1984 E30+ on which the mast is deck-stepped, and I thought all E30+ boats were similar, with none having a keel-stepped mast.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something about your post, but can you clarify if the mast is deck-stepped and you are concerned about the support below the deck inside the cabin, or does your mast truly go through the deck down to the keel and you are concerned about support below the cabin sole/floor. Maybe then one of us on the site might have some helpful comments.

Frank

mustangxr

Hi Peter,

I noticed that a number of people have viewed your post, but nobody has replied yet. It may be because like me, they might be puzzled--I have a 1984 E30+ on which the mast is deck-stepped, and I thought all E30+ boats were similar, with none having a keel-stepped mast.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something about your post, but can you clarify if the mast is deck-stepped and you are concerned about the support below the deck inside the cabin, or does your mast truly go through the deck down to the keel and you are concerned about support below the cabin sole/floor. Maybe then one of us on the site might have some helpful comments.

Frank
Frank, You are right!?! I was getting mixed up with a C & C 30 that I had viewed just before the Ericson. Must have been a senior moment?Looking at too many boats in a short time. This question is on Hull # 557 built in May of 1981.

Could you tell me what to look for in the bilge around and under the mast support post please. The bilge looks really good and clean with new washers under the nuts and freshly sealed. There is no apparent sagging of the deck around the compression post and no water discolouration of the adjoining bulkhead. I believe I have read that there is an essential repair around the support for the compression post area. Is that true?? Is there a way to see if that has been done? Thank you for correcting me about the mast step position, next time I will Take pictures.
Cheers, Peter

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Peter,

I think the repair that you are referring to is to strengthen the support for the mast/mast step on the underside of the deck. It is accessible from inside the cabin/salon by opening the headliner zipper that goes across the beam of the boat just aft of the compression post. When that zipper is opened you can see where the compression post butts up to the underside of the deck. On my 1984 E30+ hull #637 there is a metal plate inserted between the post and the deck across the underside of the deck--it's about two feet long and 4 inches wide and about 1/8 inch thick (from memory). It is intended to reinforce the deck below the mast step.

A trick I learned along the way is to mark the underside of the deck with a magic marker while you have the zipper open, at each side of the compression post so you can monitor if the post moves off centre at any time for whatever reason. Mine has remained stable for the ten years we have owned our boat.

As far as I know the compression post sits on the salon floor supported by the grid fibreglass structure below the flooring, but that area isn't really accessible without taking up the floor. If there is no evidence of wetness/rot or other problems at the base of the compression post I would assume it's ok.

I hope that helps. Others may also have additional comments or ideas.

Frank

mustangxr

Mast step support explained

Thank you Frank, my mind rests much easier after your explanation. I will have a look at the underside of the mast step on the ceiling on my next inspection.
Cheers, Pete