• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Mast head sheaves

My sheaves look to be in good condition. My rigger suggested using 10mm and use the existing sheave or swap out the sheaves to go with 3/8.

If it is easy enough, I would just order a couple of sheaves if I knew what to buy. He suggested getting sheaves from APS, but I have no idea what size to order.

Also does anyone else with an e27 have photos that they can share? While I am working on the mast head I am reconsidering adding a masthead light and maybe installing an antenna on top.

Jeff Thornton
Negaunee, MI

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My sheaves look to be in good condition. My rigger suggested using 10mm and use the existing sheave or swap out the sheaves to go with 3/8.

If it is easy enough, I would just order a couple of sheaves if I knew what to buy. He suggested getting sheaves from APS, but I have no idea what size to order.

Also does anyone else with an e27 have photos that they can share? While I am working on the mast head I am reconsidering adding a masthead light and maybe installing an antenna on top.

Jeff Thornton
Negaunee, MI

I wonder why your rigger friend wants you to use such large line?
5/16" would be ample for a boat this size. That's what we have (T-900 very low stretch) on our 34 footer.

Loren

This is what I got from my Rigger-

For the halyards we'll need to have a look at the sheaves at the top of your mast and make sure they're wide enough for rope. Often these older boats were originally set up with wire-rope halyards and have really narrow sheaves at the top. If they're narrow, 8mm rope might still work and I'd recommend using Sirius 500 for that. That would be about $60 for the main halyard. If 10mm rope fits we could move to Marlow Doublebraid, it's the same price per foot but a slightly stronger rope.

The same options hold for the jib halyard, sheave size dependent. It will be about $65 for the jib halyard.

For the jib sheets I'd go with Orion 300 in 10mm, it feels good in the hand. I'm using 80ft as an estimate for the sheet length and that would be about $75 for the jib sheet.

Any splicing on the halyards will be free, shouldn't be a problem reusing your old shackles. If they are accessible, I'd probably double check the lengths against your existing sheets and halyards. I did my estimates off a rig diagram and it should be close but you never know!

So it looks like about $200 total for all three ropes.

Looking for opinions.........

Jeff

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I did my estimates off a rig diagram and it should be close but you never know!

When I was a rigger, If I didn't have the old halyard to duplicate I always-always-always made the new halyard about 15 feet longer than my client thought it needed to be. I'd bury the small extra cost somewhere, but the thing is if the new halyard ended up being too short (diagram was wrong, "forgot" to tell me that they wanted to run it aft, whatever), I might end up eating the whole cost of the line. So, cheap insurance.

Might be worth thinking about having your rigger make yours longer than you think it needs to be. You never know!

Already thought of that.

"Sure check the width. You might be able to find some replacement sheaves that fit the mast. APS carries a handful and the delrin/nylon variety are fairly inexpensive. But the ones there now may work as well. We can make your halyard a little longer in case you run it back to the cockpit in the future. 10 extra feet of rope is cheap.
On Mar 12, 2016 11:00 AM, "Jeff Thornton" wrote:

Yup, it is rope wire. Do you want me to measure the sheAves with a set of calipers?

You know, I am thinking of rigging this to single hand, the main anyway. I do it already but would like to be safer. I have a few extra winches laying around but my cabin has a hard liner.

"

Which can lead to my next question. With the hard liner, how difficult is it to rig an e27 for single handling?

Jeff Thornton

dt222

Member III
I used Zephyrwerks in 2011 when I replaced my sheaves. I shipped the old ones (with spacers) off to them and was converting from wire/rope to all rope. I use a 1/2 main halyard and 7/16 genoa halyard. the folks at Zephyrwerks were very helpful and do great work

As far as leading the halyard to the cockpit, the fact that the '27 has a hard headliner means that it is much easier to install items in the cabin top. Just use appropriate backing plates and fasteners and be sure to follow good protocol in countersinking all holes and use a good bedding material (butyl tape).

Don