• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Thinking of Purchasing E35-3 1987 Model...Issues that I should look for?

Doug177

Member III
I'm a 63 year old avid S27.9 racer that is looking for a bigger boat for some Great Lakes and Coastal Cruising. The boat needs to be nimble and quick as that is what I am used to with enough amenities to please my wife.

The E35-3 looks good on paper and fits into my $40-$50K price range. I have lots of experience re-coring balsa decks and Awlgripping Hulls but am not very excited about peeling bottoms.

What kind of maintenance issues should I expect on a fresh water E35-3 stored on the hard in the Winter? Any issues with the mast and rigging come to mind? How about keel bolts? What have you folks done to keep your boats going over the years?

Doug Frye
Spring Lake, MI

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In general, Ericsons are well built and have stood up nicely. Model 35-3 owners will have specific comments, but by 1987 most construction issues had been corrected and the new backbone, the so-called "Tri-Axial Force Grid", makes for a remarkably stiff hull and good attachments for all equipment.

Cosmetics aside, I would be surprised if any boat of that era didn't need most of the upgrades mine did--perhaps fewer, given the fresh water environment.

You could scan through my blog for an overview of typical work done, rebedding ports, engine upgrades, wiring and so on.

Doug177

Member III
Christian....One moment please

While I spend a couple of days (weeks) reading all of your posts. If the E35-3 is not too terrible, I will join you in Marina Del Rey in a couple of years, cocktails on me. Thank you for all you are sharing.

Doug

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Purchase of 35-2

I have a 34-2 which is the same hull as the 35-3 with a different cabin arrangement and a slightly different stern. I purchased mine two years ago. Cosmically, it was good. It had good sails (main 130, 70, two spinnakers). The electronics were new and top of the line (E-90, digital radar, etc.) The engine was in good shape. The engine and battery electrical systems were a disaster (wired by an over caffeinated spider). I knew this going in as I got both a survey and a mechanical inspection. After several failures the first summer, I rewired the engine and battery electricals last winter. No failures since then! If you can do this kind of work, it is inexpensive. If not, it is quite costly. I also vastly upgraded the head system. Big improvement! No odor.

I am deliriously happy with the way this boat handles. The helm is extremely fast and very light. The boat will tack in the lightest zephyr. The boat sails to it's rating in all conditions. It will not embarrass you if you venture forth on the race course. The base rating is 126. Mine comes in at 135 due to the lack of a 150 (not missed).

For a reference, I paid just under $50,000 for mine in good condition except for the engine electricals. I would add 10% for corrections and upgrades to bring the boat up to your standards. One of my upgrades has been to add an electric windlass as I have decided I am way too old to Armstrong a 35 pound anchor and 50' of chain into the boat. The head improvement made me a hero with the first mate.

Good luck with your choice!

Last edited:

Lucky Dog

Member III
My 35II came from Whitehall.
It took a couple of weeks reading every thread her about the 35.
I spent two hours look at it. With a check list in hand. Made a offer and am still glad with the decision.
This forum is the best and has unbelievable talent and patients among its members.

i have tried to put together a rendezvous of Great Lakes owners.....some day.

Mark

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Typical issues of Ericsons of that vintage that I can think of are:

1. Blisters
2. Rusty keel nuts
3. Potential deck leaks/moisture
4. Check the hull/keel joint good

You'll probably want to start methodically replacing hoses (i.e. sanitation hoses) and check the Marelon thru hulls for being stuck.

Other than that, yeah, great sailing boats. I can't pull into a marina, or be out on a race, without someone saying "Nice Ericson!" or "That's a beautiful boat!" or "Those Ericsons are nice boats, classic!"

Mark

I have the first E-35 that was sent to the East coast, Sketcher a 1983 model. I am the original owner, it's been a GREAT boat.
About 6 years ago had bottom peeled with new sea cocks, used bronze. Replace all the standing rigging 14 years ago.
Mast repainted, hull painted and pedestal refurbished. besides resealing ports, hatches and sea hood as I go through the years,
no mayor maintenance.

Biggest problem...the anchor locker latch (where it goes into the deck fiberglass) caused water to get into the forward deck....bad design.
Fixed from bottom side, big job.

Overall...awesome boat, still sails with tremendous power. Sketcher has been the perfect boat!

Hilco Woudstra

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have the first E-35 that was sent to the East coast, Sketcher a 1983 model. I am the original owner, it's been a GREAT boat.
About 6 years ago had bottom peeled with new sea cocks, used bronze. Replace all the standing rigging 14 years ago.
Mast repainted, hull painted and pedestal refurbished. besides resealing ports, hatches and sea hood as I go through the years,
no mayor maintenance.

Biggest problem...the anchor locker latch (where it goes into the deck fiberglass) caused water to get into the forward deck....bad design.
Fixed from bottom side, big job.

Overall...awesome boat, still sails with tremendous power. Sketcher has been the perfect boat!

Hilco Woudstra

Hilco, you have ten years on me! We bought our '88 boat in 1994, and while I have done numerous upgrades and PM's, it shows very good attention to detail in engineering and construction. The only (!) thing they did not do "right" was to clean all of the mold-release wax off of the bottom when attaching the keel, which led to a leak around one keel bolt and the need to drop and rebed of the keel not too long after we bought the boat.
We lack the extensive full-on teak cabinetry of the E-35 interior, but the wood work that we do have is high quality.

Loren

Last edited:
Loren,

As our sons grew older, Sketcher got smaller but we love it so much...could not sell it. Now it's big again and love the boat.
In the picture (attached) look at the dorad box in teak. When I received the boat a massive leak underneath. Factory said cut the fiberglass and replace.
I asked them if they would pay for a teak one...they OK'd. Good warranty from them.

Doug,

Have attached a picture of Sketcher, you can not go wrong on buying an Ericson.
attachment.php

Doug177

Member III
What a great group of owners...THANK YOU!

Makes me want to buy an Ericson just to be part of such a helpful sharing group.

I am off in a week to see the 35-3....fingers crossed.

Three more questions.

1) What kind of prop seems to be favored for the standard Universal Diesel

2) How many of you have Dodgers and what do you like or not like.

3) I suppose most of you have roller furling...what kind do you have?

Once again...thanks...now I have a list of things to look out for.

Doug

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Makes me want to buy an Ericson just to be part of such a helpful sharing group.

Three more questions.

Doug

Most any E-35-3 that you see will have either a Universal M25 (21 hp) or if a later build, the M25XP (23). Our '88 boat has the later engine. Ours came with with the stock two blade fixed, and I later used a 2 blade feathering prop for many years, and for the last few years have a 3 blade fixed. More torque and speed under power now, but a noticeable loss of speed under sail. But that's how compromises get their meaning... :rolleyes:
There are several good threads on this site about prop selection.

We have a 20 year old smaller (hatch width) dodger and are planning to put on a larger full size one in the future. Shelter is a good thing when out cruising.

Our Harken RF system (Mk 2) was installed new in '95 and still works fine. There is more than one good brand of furler out there, but the Harken is certainly one of the better choices.

Cheers,
Loren
:egrin:

Last edited:

Three more questions.

Doug

Doug,

On sketcher, it came with a two blade sail prop. Changed to a three blade "Michigan" prop. Reason, on the Pamlico Sound (the Sound is shallow 20-25 feet), in heavy weather under power I could not make forward motion. The three blade keeps the boat forward into the waves.

A dodger is a must, keeps water of you & companionway. Sketcher has a FULL Bimini for shade (needed in North Carolina).

Sketcher has a Harken fuller and hydraulic backstay

Doug177

Member III
I like the look of your dodger/bimini combo Hilco

Hilco

When I was a teenager, I built a 37 foot "Sea Bird" ferro-cement sloop with my girlfriend (now wife) and sailed it from Erie, PA through the barge canal and down to Southern Florida. I passed by the Statue of Liberty on my 21st Birthday. I remember one lonely night in February slogging against a cold north wind up Pamlico sound to Oriental under motor through the chop and I greatly appreciated my 3-bladed prop. I didn't have a dodger darn it. I was on my way to my new job at Newport News Shipbuilding and Carpenters Marina in Poquoson, VA.

For 40 years now I have been wanting to get back to cruising. It is time.

Doug

Doug,

I noticed you are from Muskegon, I grew up there. Our first sail was out of Muskegon lake into the cold Michigan lake...WOW that was exciting.
Had to get into sailing. Started my own business and bought Sketcher. We have lived in North Carolina a long time and keep Sketcher in Oriental.

Your right it can be a slog on the Pamlico...but the sailing is still great. Not that many Ericson boats here, but the few owners love them. They are stout.
Great thing in Michigan, they should have less sun damage to deck gel coat.

Good luck in finding the right one.

Hilco on Sketcher.

Doug177

Member III
3 Burner Stove what type?

Hilco / Loren et al

I hope that by 1987 they had switched out from alcohol stoves. I like to bake bread for the week on Sunday mornings. And from my limited experience with alcohol, it was even difficult to heat water for coffee let alone bake bread.

Doug

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Stove notes

Hilco / Loren et al

I hope that by 1987 they had switched out from alcohol stoves. I like to bake bread for the week on Sunday mornings. And from my limited experience with alcohol, it was even difficult to heat water for coffee let alone bake bread.

Doug

While Ericson was famous for installing owner-specified options, from engines to winches to ... stoves?...
our '88 model Olson came with a stock Origo 6000 range. It works great and has none of the safety issues of the older pressure alcohol stoves, having no alcohol under pressure.

Our stove seems to have ample heat for baking chocolate chip cookies and cinnamon rolls in the oven, and that's the key 'test' it passes for our usage.
:)

Alcohol as a fuel does have less BTU's than propane, but our burners are rated at 5250 BTU each and seem to burn food rapidly in my inexpert hands and to boil water very quickly. (We do not time the kettle; when it whistles it's ready....)

Best of luck on your baking!
I recall a realtor telling me, many years ago, about the positive marketing effect of baking some fresh bread or cookies in the kitchen of an Open House being conducted on a weekend! Darned near irresistible.
:rolleyes:
Loren

Last edited:
Hilco / Loren et al

Doug

Doug, I have seen the propane stoves in action...awesome. But being one of "those people" with a alcohol stove ( I know.... old fashion) my wife had cooked a turkey dinner before in it.
Five hours later, the feast. Now I will admit feeding our sons & me "on the boat" ....we do not complain.
Just saying, it is possible.

Hilco

Doug177

Member III
Mast Weight and most common delamination locations on Deck/Cabin....

Does anybody have an idea what the tall rig mast weighs with and without rigging on the E35-3? I might have to put it on a truck.

Also where does the deck and cabin suffer the most common balsa core problems. On my S2 7.9 the balsa got punky and delaminated around winches and mast step.

Getting closer.

Doug