• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

72 E-27 outboard model transom flexing issue

jgkelly

I seem to have an issue with the transom in the outboard cutout, cracking seems to be going on. In the bottom of the outboard cutout I have noticed that when I give the outboard some gas it looks like some cracks open up in the middle of the transom across the width of it, parallel with the transom, also close to the cockpit drain seems like some cracking in the same shape as the bottom of the cutout. So I think the area where the motor is mounted is flexing when I give the outboard some power. The cracks in the paint get to be like 1/8 inch wide. The previous owner had an aluminum plate made that is sort of U shaped, starts in the inside of the well, goes over the top and then back down the outside of the transom. I know this is all hard to explain. So my questions are:

1. Is this flexing a big issue that I need to be concerned about? (I kind of think so)
2. Is that bottom part of the outboard cut out reinforced internally in some manner or is it just fiberglass?
3. Is there a way to get to that area from inside to work on it? I have not tried to get to it through the port side locker yet.
4. What is the best procedure to fix this?

I noticed this issue after I painted the area and when I used the outboard I saw the cracks start in the paint.
Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sounds like some reinforcement of the transom is needed.
What make and hp is your engine? I only ask because when your Ericson was designed there were light weight 8 or 10 hp two stroke outboards that weighed about 50 or 60 pounds. Modern four stroke motors have a lot more torque and weigh a tad over 100#.
My prior 26 foot boat had a transom cutout for the engine and I had to do some major glass work to strengthen it for the 105# Yamaha 10 extra long shaft I was using.

Loren

davisr

Member III
Loren makes an excellent point. Doug in Portland - who goes by BigD14 - is the man who could probably give you some good advice about reinforcing the E27 transom. I remember seeing pictures of his project.

Roscoe
E25, #226
Oystercatcher

jgkelly

Thanks for the info. I am using an older Nissan 9.9 2 stroke ( came with the boat) , I'm not sure of the model number or weight off the top of my head. It might be in that 50 to 60 lb range, maybe a little heavier. I'll check that out. And with all old boats, who knows what was used on it before.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yessir I would say that flexing is an issue
. You can get a better idea of what you are up against by doing a search on some previous threads here where I posted pics or I documented it at plastic classic forum under projects Ericson 27 Project. Unfortunately I think it might be a bit of a project. I reinforced the heck out of that area when I cutout the transom. Post some pics of the area!

Last edited:

jgkelly

Loren, thanks for the link. Doug you did an impressive amount of work on your boat and I really appreciate you documenting it so well. From your pics it gives me a lot better idea of what might be in my transom, and what I might be up against in trying to fix it. I have been thinking of have two big u shaped pieces of thick aluminum fabricated and mounting one on the inside and one on the outside of the outboard cut out. That may stop the flexing enough.

davisr

Member III
Loren, thanks for the link. Doug you did an impressive amount of work on your boat and I really appreciate you documenting it so well. From your pics it gives me a lot better idea of what might be in my transom, and what I might be up against in trying to fix it. I have been thinking of have two big u shaped pieces of thick aluminum fabricated and mounting one on the inside and one on the outside of the outboard cut out. That may stop the flexing enough.

If you want to go this route, then I can give some advice. Save the money and simply order some aluminum plate from Onlinemetals.com. You can work it with blades and bits and oil that you find at any hardware store. I put epoxy-coated plywood in the gap, and then I sandwiched this between two aluminum plates. I did this upon the advice of a buddy who owns a local boatyard. This set-up supports the weight of my Yamaha 9.9 high thrust well.

Roscoe

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 181
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 199

davisr

Member III
I used 3/16 inch plate. Here's a picture of the finished product.

Roscoe

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN2348.jpg
    DSCN2348.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 264