• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

pedestal guard needed

carroll

Member II
Does anyone have or know of a used pedestal guard for sale? Failing that , does anyone know of a source that can bend the 1.25" s.s. tubing into a guard or would that end up being more expensive?
Carroll

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was told it's expensive to custom bend a stainless tube to a specific radius (jig required), but cheap to make two 90 degree turns.

My guard was $100 total from http://www.railmakers.com/about-railmakers.htm , no doubt you have a similar outfit nearby.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 330

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The white plates are King StarBoard, cut with a router for a clean edge.

The existing binnacle rail mounting plate was frozen to the original guard tubing. I sawed the plate ends off, put the remains back on the binnacle, and bolted the StarBoard on top (with holes to receive the new tubes).

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Binnacle mount in progress.jpg
    Binnacle mount in progress.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 116
  • binn.JPG
    binn.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Guard

I have a squared off 48" x 1" , with 9 1/2" centers, stainless guard that I salvaged off of an E-28+. It had the same problem that Christian's had. I also have a new Edson stainless plate and gaskets with 9 1/2" centers plus bushings for 1" and 1 1/4" tube. In addition I have new Edson stainless steel feet also with bushings. If you are at all interested private message me and I can send you some pictures.

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I have a squared off 48" x 1" , with 9 1/2" centers, stainless guard that I salvaged off of an E-28+. It had the same problem that Christian's had. I also have a new Edson stainless plate and gaskets with 9 1/2" centers plus bushings for 1" and 1 1/4" tube. In addition I have new Edson stainless steel feet also with bushings. If you are at all interested private massage me and I can send you some pictures.

Private massages? Hmmm....

The new Starboard looks very clean.

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
I gave up my 60' TR-3 for a 72' Spider. Big mistake. Wish I had them both now. I could spell better then too.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Pedistal Guard

I still have my '67 MGB and '72 911 Targa. Good keeps. I had a local machine shop bend up my rather jazzy guard for under $150 so cheap is doable.

carroll

Member II
I have a squared off 48" x 1" , with 9 1/2" centers, stainless guard that I salvaged off of an E-28+. It had the same problem that Christian's had. I also have a new Edson stainless plate and gaskets with 9 1/2" centers plus bushings for 1" and 1 1/4" tube. In addition I have new Edson stainless steel feet also with bushings. If you are at all interested private message me and I can send you some pictures.

Al , Let me check some things and i will get back with you. Thanks, Carroll

carroll

Member II
The white plates are King StarBoard, cut with a router for a clean edge.

The existing binnacle rail mounting plate was frozen to the original guard tubing. I sawed the plate ends off, put the remains back on the binnacle, and bolted the StarBoard on top (with holes to receive the new tubes).

attachment.php
attachment.php

Christian , I have a y.s. binnacle . Do you know what the size specs are for the plate? I'm away from the boat right now. Is there a pattern in existence for the plate so i could cut my own out?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Carroll,

I doubt there are any specs, as YS has been out of business a long time. And our pedestals may not be the same.

Are you adding a binnacle guard for the first time? If so, we can figure a way, I think.

My connector plate (with holes for the tubes of the rails), simply fastens to the top of the pedestal, under the compass.

Is that what you need?

carroll

Member II
Hi Carroll,

I doubt there are any specs, as YS has been out of business a long time. And our pedestals may not be the same.

Are you adding a binnacle guard for the first time? If so, we can figure a way, I think.

My connector plate (with holes for the tubes of the rails), simply fastens to the top of the pedestal, under the compass.

Is that what you need?

Yes , there is no guard now so i have leeway. How does the plate attach to the binnacle ? Does the plate just have two holes for the uprights of the guard to pass through or is the plate actually attached to the guard and if so how. I talked to Dave at Railmakers and he says he needs a pic of yours and the height and width of the guard so he can give me an price .---carroll

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On my boat the rail guard connecting plate is fastened to the top rim of the binnacle, under a plastic collar that mounts the shift and throttle levers.

It is held to the binnacle with machine screw in threaded holes in the aluminum.

The plate holds the rail guard tubes vertical. The tubes seat in stock feet bolted to the cockpit floor and are secured by set screws.

There were originally set screws in the connecting plate too, but I don't think they're necessary. You could always put collars on the rails if need is felt.

My rail guard is 10-11" inches wide, but since you are creating the connection plate that measurement can be whatever you want.

I'd make a template and have the plate and holes cut out of 3/8 aluminum by a metal shop.

I don't know how similar your pedestal and engine controls are to mine, but the general idea is pretty straightforward.

I can't remember what boat you have.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• binn 1.jpg
    binn 1.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Binn 1A.jpg
    Binn 1A.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Carroll,

After all this advice and thinking, are you still looking for a 1" pedestal guard and the feet for it? I have a used one. It is spaced at about 12-3/4 inches, where today's standard guards seem to be 12". It has a few holes in it where the wires went through and the stock table brackets were attached. I also have the stock table and brackets. These came off my E38. All are in decent shape.

I have attached a screenshot from a YS brochure and a picture showing the table and angle guard. I don't have a plate to offer. The entire brochure is informative, but too large to upload (14.5 MB).

YS_Pedestal_Table.jpgYS_Pedestal_table-pic.jpg

MMLOGAN

Member III
Recent rebuild

Carroll,

Last spring we rebuilt our Nav Pod and pedestal. While taking the YS apart the connecting plate fell apart in my hands. We put in new upright tubes, new connection plate and cast our own Nav Pod in fiberglass. New pod contains a rebuilt Raymarine ST4000+ control head (Thank you to the forum for the rebuild contact), Garmin Echo Map 50DV, temp and oil pressure gauges. Can't tell you how nice it is to see the gauges at eye level.
Old Plate
attachment.php

New Plate
attachment.php

Spread on Centers is 13 inches
attachment.php

Finished product
attachment.php

The plate was 1/4 inch stainless that we had water jet cut. All in all a good project.

Best of luck with yours.

Attachments

• 20150223_092543.jpg
    20150223_092543.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 20150303_161243sml.jpg
    20150303_161243sml.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20150221_131620sml.jpg
    20150221_131620sml.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20150503_125714sml.jpg