• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

US Open

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I thought you guys get a lot of rain up there. When I lived in Pittsburgh we used to talk about how we had a lot of rain, but Puget Sound had more. Those greens look like the lichen on my HO scale train set when I was a kid. Is there a drought up there too?

Last edited:

GregB

Member II
Droght?

I thought you guys get a lot of rain up there. When I lived in Pittsburgh we used to talk about how we had a lot of rain, but Puget Sound had more. Those greens look like the lichen on my HO scale train set when I was a kid. Is there a drought up there too?

I wouldn't go that far... but it has been a dry summer. We usually call this month Juneuary...

G

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
I can't remember the last time it's actually rained here. There's no snow pack. Drought and forest fires on the Olympic peninsula. Everyday after work, it's been about 80F and blowing 20 knts (great sailing!!). Long time residents say that is not normal - if it's sunny this time of year, it's usually dead-calm. Supposed to be hitting 90 this weekend.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Normally we gets lots of rain from Oct-April - and then some in Sept and May/June... July and August are traditionally dry - as evidenced by the dried out lawns (dormant lawns actually - they'll come back in September) that most of us have this time of year. No AC, as the heat only lasts (traditionally) for short time...

However - as has already been posted - we had little rain this winter, and it was warm - meaning high freeze levels and little/no snow pack. The cities in Western Washington are ok - but the farmers in the Eastern side of the state are feeling the pain right now...

Because of climate change, the area has become the #2 wine producer in the country - behind California. Napa and Sonoma Valleys, however are turning the way of the Central Valley - hot and dry (and that's without the drought - which is a nightmare) - and folks have been buying up the land on the eastern slopes of the Cascades for more than a decade - all for wine production.. It's forecasted that as California drys up and cooks, WA/OR/BC will become the top wine producers for the US - at least until our goose is cooked too (eventually). :0

Oh, and Chambers Bay - what a success! Everyone wanted a more difficult course - so there you go! Cracks me up to hear all those guys whining about how hard it was, etc. I remember sailing past that place when it was a gravel pit...

//sse.

Last edited: