Jacklines on E38

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Hi,

Any experience out there on installing jacklines and/or padeyes on an E38?

I was going to do as follows:

1/4" Amsteel within 1" yellow nylon tubular webbing. One continuous length, with a SS thimble and locked Brummel on each end. Lash one end with 1/8" Amsteel to stanchion base on aft side of gate. Route webbing up along port side-deck, within the shrouds, up through the hole in the port bow cleat, across the bow and through the hole of the starboard bow cleat, then back down the starboard side deck, and finished with another lashing on the starboard side stanchion on the aft side of the gate.

It may be a little bit of a reach to click in from the cockpit, but it keeps you 6' from the end of the boat, which people recommend (just forward of the primary winches).

What about pad-eye locations in the cockpit? I don't want to be drilling holes everywhere, so want to locate them wisely and efficiently.

Thanks,
Mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Jack lines and Eyes

We have flat tube webbing for jack lines, and have each side led from a mooring cleat aft up the deck around the outside of the shroud base, and then to a bow cleat. The usual "cleat hitch" lays so flat that cleats can still be used for mooring lines. I also added several locking turns to the usual hitch due to slippery nature of the webbing. Due to length changing when the webbing gets wet, you need something like a cleat hitch so that you can re-tension it after the initial install.

We have two good sized ss pad eyes: one on the inside of the foreword part of the footwell and the other one is on one side of the combing beside the helm station. Both were used going up and down the WA coast last summer, especially after dark.

One other thing- our relocated stern light on the back side of the radar pole is indeed way better for night vision in the cockpit compared to the factory mount on the push pit where some light spilled down onto the top of the stern. The higher location is better for being seen, as well, IMHO.

Parts of the jack lines show in my blog pictures.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?208-Carrying-More-Diesel

Loren

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Jacklines

I run the same kind as Loren fastened at the stern the same as Loren except I run them inside the shrouds which makes it easier to work the mast. I use the pad eye for the spinnaker pole downhaul for the forward pad eye. This is just behind the anchor locker hatch which allows me to stay clipped on while anchoring solo. I can also reach the bow clipped in. When adding the cockpit pad eye, allow enough slack so the helmsman isn't pulled tight. Our wheels are big.

u079721

Contributing Partner
I could never bring myself to install all those padeyes, so I too used a length of flat webbing. I tied one end through the opening in the toe rail after of the gate, ran it forward through both forward cleats (outside of the shrouds), and aft to the other side. In the cockpit we used a second length of webbing tied between the aft cleats and the mast below. At night we clipped in before climbing into the cockpit, and had dual tethers to switch between the webbings when going out on deck. We only used the jacklines while on our yearly one month cruise, and this way it was easy to untie and stow the rest of the season. It was a little makeshift looking, but very secure.

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
I could never bring myself to install all those padeyes, so I too used a length of flat webbing. I tied one end through the opening in the toe rail after of the gate, ran it forward through both forward cleats (outside of the shrouds), and aft to the other side. In the cockpit we used a second length of webbing tied between the aft cleats and the mast below. At night we clipped in before climbing into the cockpit, and had dual tethers to switch between the webbings when going out on deck. We only used the jacklines while on our yearly one month cruise, and this way it was easy to untie and stow the rest of the season. It was a little makeshift looking, but very secure.

Steve,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure I understand your cockpit set-up description. You ran a piece of webbing from your stern cleats to your mast?

Mark

u079721

Contributing Partner
Steve,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure I understand your cockpit set-up description. You ran a piece of webbing from your stern cleats to your mast?

Mark

Wish I had some pictures to help. For sitting in the cockpit we ran a length of webbing from either a stern cleat or one of the cleats aft of the main winches, across the cockpit and down the steps into the cabin, and around the mast. This allowed us to clip on before leaving the cabin. This of course would be in the way while not underway, so I made it very easy to rig by having loops at both ends tied with "water knots". You first pass the length of the webbing through the loop at the base of the mast, and then pass the loop at the other end through the open base of the cleat and back up over horns of the cleats. In practice we usually just undid the loop through the cleat and stored the webbing at the base of the mast, ready to re-rig when getting underway. We left the webbing on deck rigged for the entire cruise.