• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Too close to a line with a power washer.

I got a little carried away with the power washer and got too close to the halyards. Now a section of my halyard seems a bit.........Frayed or ........Fuzzy. Don't have a picture but about a foot of halyard looks like a caterpillar! I am sure I am not the first to do this, but is there a simple fix rather than plopping down a couple hundred bucks for a simple mistake?

Tried taking my wife's battery operated sweater shaver to it......yeah.....right......thinking of trying a simple disposable razor.

Anyone..........Anyone?

Jeff

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ouch

Been there... and done that... and other than heat sealing the raised strands, you could always tightly wrap some "sticky back" sail repair tape the area if it is not too long. Back when we got our boat decades ago I found one such "patch" wrapped tightly on a section of spin. sheet. It's still holding on tightly, all these years later.

Getting a bit too close with a power washer, I accidently messed up one of my halyard tails where if lays down over the cabin back, and finally loped off the affected area and since there was some extra length I got off with only a lesson learned. Water @ 1300 psi will really get into the weave of those fibers.

Regards,
Loren

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
I'd probably try an open flame on the fuzz. Just an idea, never ran into this particular issue.

You guys get moss down there? Do you use pressure washers in the sun belt? Just curious.

Being the "always be prepared" paranoid Boy Scout engineer type, I don't think I would be able to sleep until I replaced the halyard. But then again, I remind myself of Christian's photo of Mr Slocum in his office to put things in perspective.

mark

Last edited:

missalot

Member II
As long as the fuzzy part is not carrying a load when the main is up, I don't see a problem leaving it. It's a line "identifier" now. With new crew, "Ok, pull up the main with the main halyard...the fuzzy one"

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
As long as the fuzzy part is not carrying a load when the main is up, I don't see a problem leaving it. It's a line "identifier" now. With new crew, "Ok, pull up the main with the main halyard...the fuzzy one"

Right you are. The load is carried by the core, not by the cover.