• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Engine Size/Capability??

Unsettled1

Member I
I am have access to a Universal M25 and a Volvo Penta 13HP. Will one or the other of these fit in the Ericson 27 Atomic 4 slot with or without some mods??

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Volvo Penta

I have a Volvo D1-13 Sail Drive in my San Juan 26. The San Juan weighs in at 6300lbs in it's current configuration. That should be very close to the weight of your 27. It has a top of 7.3 knots and will cruise all day long at 6.5 knots. The vibration is almost nill in the sail drive configuration. the little twin is exceptionally compact and should fit. If it is a D1-13, the engine is actually made by Perkins and marketed by Volvo. The fuel consumption is redicousily low. I have a M25XP in my Ericson 34. That's a good size engine and more power than you need. It drives the 34 at 6 1/2 knots. It also vibrates significantly more than the Volvo. The Universal is a marinized Kubota tractor engine which means you can buy relatively cheap parts for it if you go to the Kubota dealer. I have no complaints about the Universal other than it Vibrates more than the Volvo. I'm working on that problem now. The expected fuel consumption should be around .6-.7 gal hr.

If the Volvo is an older model than the D1-13, I don't have any experience with it. The older engine was made by Volvo and, as I understand it, not as good an engine as the Perkins. I think the Universal is too big an engine for the 27.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I put a Perkins M20 (18hp) 3cyl diesel in my '77E27. Had to raise the engine compartment cover by 1" to make it fit and add riser blocks to the bed to get the shaft to align, but pretty straight forward. I think the M25 will be a bit too big for the space you have.

Kevin Wright
E35 Therapy

endorphin

Kubota

I have a Volvo D1-13 Sail Drive in my San Juan 26. The San Juan weighs in at 6300lbs in it's current configuration. That should be very close to the weight of your 27. It has a top of 7.3 knots and will cruise all day long at 6.5 knots. The vibration is almost nill in the sail drive configuration. the little twin is exceptionally compact and should fit. If it is a D1-13, the engine is actually made by Perkins and marketed by Volvo. The fuel consumption is redicousily low. I have a M25XP in my Ericson 34. That's a good size engine and more power than you need. It drives the 34 at 6 1/2 knots. It also vibrates significantly more than the Volvo. The Universal is a marinized Kubota tractor engine which means you can buy relatively cheap parts for it if you go to the Kubota dealer. I have no complaints about the Universal other than it Vibrates more than the Volvo. I'm working on that problem now. The expected fuel consumption should be around .6-.7 gal hr.

If the Volvo is an older model than the D1-13, I don't have any experience with it. The older engine was made by Volvo and, as I understand it, not as good an engine as the Perkins. I think the Universal is too big an engine for the 27.

Hope this helps.

I know Beta is built on a Kubota block but I thought the Universal was a Perkins bloc