• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tips for impeller change on E27...

whawk

New owner of 1974 E27 with Volvo MD7A looking for tips on impeller change. I'm confident I can easily do all the mechanical things, but I can't see the pump. I can feel it, but that's it. My service book says the pump is on the aft end and I can feel the round shape and it has hoses and screws, so I'm assuming this is it. But..... All inputs appreciated.:confused: Jim

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Tools

One of the tool items I've found invaluable to have on hand is an inspection mirror. A good size one not those little round ones. That and a good light source will give you the opportunity to get a good look at things you can only feel. I've got no experience with that engine. But on my previous A-4 equipped E-27 I had the same situation. Working upside down and backwards. Put down as many rags as you can get under the water pump to catch the screws and whatever you will inevitably drop. Get a good look at things and dive in. Good luck.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Universal 5411

Hi Respected Sailors

Our 5411 fresh water pump is on the back side. We haven't ever changed the impeller since we converted to fresh water cooling in 82. That was a very difficult plumbing job and when we start the engine every spring I pray that I will not see a weep with the inspection mirror from the pump weep hole. So far so good. I would sure be interested in any tricks to replace the impeller. My best guess at this point would be to remove the hoses and the pump to get to the impeller plate... Then be careful to equilibrate the pump when putting it back in. Rotate the engine before tightening the mounting bolts and putting the hoses on. I think that may be a big reason the present fresh water pump has lasted so long??? Along with our season is only 4-5 months long.

Pat O'Connell
1981 E28+

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Large Inspection Mirror

Hi Respected Sailors

Al is right about the size of the inspection mirror. It is nice to have a big mirror available. Our 3 by 2 inch automotive mirror is adequate. Last year I bought a 6 inch round mirror at the dollar store and it was like HD TV. The back of the mirror magnified the image! Only $.99!! Took me about a month to break it but the broken mirror worked pretty darned good! My luck is not very good so we have not noticed any bad luck changes.

Pat O'Connell
1981 E28+