• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

moving boom traveler

Bud

I have been thinking of moving main sheet traveler to cabin top before I have a new bimini made. I was wondering if anyone has done this or has any thoughts on this. this is an Ericson 35-2. I have had this boat a little over a week and have been working on engine issues a4. need a change. thanks for your help. Bud

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Main Sheet change for an E-35-2

There is some past discussion here on this topic. Use google to tease it out.

IIRC, the gist of the arguments: It is a lot easier (!) to have a combined dodger and bimini when the traveler is up on the housetop.

When it is aft on a bridge deck (like some Ericson's and most Olson's) it's much easier to adjust the main. I also like that location for sailing short handed.

Given that your boom was designed from the git-go to have all the sheeting force on the end portion, the actual spar section is a lot lighter than it would be if planned for those forces, heavily multiplied, to be taken in the middle.

Perhaps others can weigh in with more input on your particular model.

Cheers,
Loren

CaptDan

Member III
Good call. The E35II cockpit ain't exactly bathtub size; it's a bit of a trip to the companionway - made that much longer when you're flying over the thwart to handle the mainsheet in a blow.

:)
Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"