• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Land Yacht?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Anyone know what type of boat this is? I was camping in the Mojave Desert this weekend and saw this on the way out there. The Land Yacht was in the town of Little Rock.

Attachments

• Land Yacht.jpg
    Land Yacht.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 217

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ready for Climate Change?

I'm not sure that the expected rise in the oceans will sufficiently benefit that boat.
:rolleyes:

Loren

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Looks like a Bayfield to me.

Scott B 25CB

Yeah, I thought Bayfield 36' or 40' as well because of that scrolled piece of teak on the bow. But I checked them out and the Bayfield's don't have that type of cabin house that almost looks like a pilot house on this boat. I do like the look of that full keel though.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Looks a lot like a Formosa 41 as well, but the port lights are round on the Formosa and the CT. This boat has oval ones.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Handsome, to my eye. The thing that always gets me is that, well, the bowsprit is rotted out, the spars are elsewhere, the engine is shot, the rudder is bad, needs all new rigging and sails, with the result that this nice-looking hull, which ought to be worth something, can't be made seaworthy for the price of a floating competitor, and therefore has a value of zero.

It just seems wrong.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I don't think that paint has been sitting out in the desert sun for years. Someone is keeping the dream alive.

Either that, or it's a very flattering photograph.

Guy Stevens

One of the Many William Garden SeaWolf Knock offs

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4315

Look at the drawing not the photo.

There were a ton of them made in the Far East. They all have a series of issues that make restoring most of them not worth the time or effort for the project.

William Garden did always draw the nicest lines on his boats. They were and are beautiful.

He gave up designing sailboats after most of his designs were used without permission and without payment by the Far East yards. Unfortunate that it happened that way, he did have an amazing eye for lines. Even copied and modified the hacks in the east couldn't remove that essential Garden look.

Guy
:)