• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anyone ever paint a mast!?

1978 E34T

My mast looks like crap! It looks like the previous owner tried to buff it and everything I have tried to get rid of the swirl marks doesn't work.

Painting the mast seems to be the only option and I was wondering if anyone has done it and what they think of the results. Longevity would be another question... how long should I expect a painted mast to last?

escapade

Inactive Member
painting mast

I painted the mast on my friends Catalina 30 about 10 years ago. Used automotive enamel w/hardener additive. Has held up very well here in Michigan.
Removed all hardware, cleaned w/scotch-brite type abrasive pads & applied a self-etching zinc chromate primer. (this spar was anodized, not painted from the factory) We then sprayed w/white DuPont automotive enamel.
This type of finish is not as durable as the anodized finish, but if your careful about letting the halyards slap or other lines rub while your moored it should hold up just fine.
I plan on doing the same thing to my E34. It's one of the projects on the list, just haven't got there yet! Let me know if you need further info.
Bud E34 "Escapade"

stbdtack

Member III
paint rig.......

Pulling my rig this week to have repainted. 22 years on the current black paint. Has turned chalky and can't be polished out.

New rigging, wiring and and sheaves at the same time.

I'll reply with the results when it's done......

clohman

Member II
When I hauled my boat to AWLGRIP the hull, we did the same to the mast, changinf it from black to white. We spent some time sanding and priming the old finish. The 2-part polyurethane AWLGRIP has help-up well and is imune to solvents. Use U.S. Paint's recommended primer, etc. and the results are impressive.

Chip

chrism

Inactive Member
Awlgrip is a pain in the butt it seems... That's why Warbonnet was painted by proffesionals...

Could you use any kind of aluminum paint or anything similiar?

Chris

leom

Painting the mast

We repainted our mast with black automotive gloss enamel (w/o any hardener) three years ago - still looks great and would highly recommend it. Smooth and great gloss!

LM in Windsor, ON Canada (Lake Erie)

vanfuego

Island Bird
mast painting

I used a two part system epoxy enamel on my E-41's mast. As long as you prep the surface correctly it turns out nice. I painted it gray, (matches my boot stripe). A zinc chromate wash is what i used. Looks great.Igot pics! I figure I'll get 4 to 5 years till i need to touch it up.

bayhoss

Member III
I painted mine last year with Bright Side. I gave the surface plenty of prep. in sanding and primer. Then four coats. Got a great shine and so far its holding up well.

Best,
Frank

clohman

Member II
When I hauled my boat to AWLGRIP the hull, we did the same to the mast, changinf it from black to white. We spent some time sanding and priming the old finish. The 2-part polyurethane AWLGRIP has help-up well and is imune to solvents. Use U.S. Paint's recommended primer, etc. and the results are impressive.

Chip

Yes - we pulled the mainsheet track - and were careful to keep paint from preventing its reinstallation.

Glyn Judson

Repainting your mast.

Although I have never done it myself, I was advised to start at the top of the mast if doing it myself. That way the learning curve corrections are too high up to see and the farther down the mast the painting goes, the better it will look. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Although I have never done it myself, I was advised to start at the top of the mast if doing it myself. That way the learning curve corrections are too high up to see and the farther down the mast the painting goes, the better it will look. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Absolutely true. We actually started on the tops of the spreaders and then the top of the mast.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I did this about 10 years ago. My "spraybooth" was a 50 ft
catamaran under construction in a friends boatyard. The spars were
suspended underneath the bridgedeck between the two hulls. The anodizing was first
scratched with a disc grinder, followed by a coat of zinc chromate primer
and then topcoated with sterling l.p. I figure about 8-10 years
paint longevity with a white color and so cal weather.

Last edited:

Ericsean

Member III
Flat Black Mast

My black mast is in dire need of a repaint. However, I assumed that the mast was a flat paint to avoid excessive glare, with the black aspect adding even less glare. I know glossy surfaces are beautiful, but am I wrong about the initial intent of flat black paint?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My light gray mast was also flat but I believe it was due to age. I am not sure I have ever seen a glossy black mast aside from a carbon fiber spar. I painted mine with a full gloss and there is no problem with glare. I do not even notice it.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Black anodized aluminum masts are pretty flat. Mast glare is not a big deal and I would guess that the additives to flatten paint would be some detriment to its longevity.

vbenn

Member III
Mast Painting

My previous boat, a Seidelmann 295, had a Kenyon mast finished with white powder coat. When it came time to paint, I removed all hardware, put it on 2 sawhorses, dewaxed, and sanded the powder coat until the entire mast had a flat finish. Since I intended to use Interlux 2-part polyurethane, I called Interlux tech service who told me that although it is an agressive paint, it is compatible with powder coat. I did not want to strip the mast to bare metal and then have to worry about the narrow time window to clean, etch, and prime. After wiping down the mast with the same solvent used to thin the polyurethane, I spray painted the entire mast using a Wagner electic sprayer. So far, so good. But I made the mistake of painting late in the day (late June) without realizing that an evening mist would spoil my work. The following day, the paint was dry but had a flat finish. Another call to Interlux diagnosed the problem. Fortunately, stripping the new paint was not required, so I lightly sanded with 400 grit, wiped down with solvent, and then decided to brush on a fresh coat, finishing by 12 noon. The paint had enough afternoon sun to skin over before dark and by the next morning, the mast was ready for the hardware to be reinstalled. The finish was smooth (no brush strokes), shiny, and lasted 8 years before I had it Awlgripped professionally. A word of advice regardless of how you paint a mast: be sure to avoid painting the sail track - - otherwise the paint build up in the track will impede the travel of your sailslides.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue
E-380, #22