• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 38 / Cockpit Locker Seal

u079721

Contributing Partner
I got a lot of water through that slot too, especially during a heavy blow from port in heavy rain. I just bought some soft foam weather stripping at the hardware store, about 1" wide by 1/4" or so thick, and stuck it in the groove. That was all it took, and seemed last several years before needing replacement. I left the rubber bumpers in place.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As a sidelight, I thought my 32-3 had the same issue. It turned out that the origin of the hose-water leak was the plastic insert of the cockpit coaming locker, which had split in a near-invisible way after years of UV exposure. Just in case anyone is still troubleshooting....

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
That blasted coaming locker! Don't get me started. That's the one thing on this boat so far that I cannot figure out what on Earth they were thinking when putting that thing together at the factory. Mine was leaking too. After much thought on options, and a complete winter and spring with a piece of plastic over the opening, we've just decided to put the bloody contraption back together. We've spent about two days so far taking that thing apart, cleaning, and re-assembling it, using plenty of fasteners, butyl, and Sika-Flex...

IMG_2372.jpgIMG_2369.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 114

davisr

Member III
I got a lot of water through that slot too, especially during a heavy blow from port in heavy rain. I just bought some soft foam weather stripping at the hardware store, about 1" wide by 1/4" or so thick, and stuck it in the groove. That was all it took, and seemed last several years before needing replacement. I left the rubber bumpers in place.

What Steve said. Essentially the same material as the Taco brand stuff, and much more affordable.

Roscoe

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author

As far as the lid leaking, this works for me, but it was done by the PO and in 11 years I have not had to replace it. Both cockpit lockers are done this way. I don't see any bumpers, but the stripping is overlapped at the corners.

Your winch handle holder repair looks pretty good. I tried to use epoxy on the tub, but either I didn't prep it properly or the material just doesn't like epoxy. It flaked off pretty fast. Despite the cracks I don't get much leakage through there at all.