• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Considering Buying an E-35-ii for Liveaboard

swsail

Hi, I'm new here. I'm looking at buying a mid-70s Ericson 35 as a potential liveaboard, San Francisco Bay cruiser, possible beercan racer, and maybe, somewhere down the line, bluewater cruiser.

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on (1) how suitable this boat is for any or all of those purposes and as a sort of jack of all trades, and/or (2) what I should be looking at on a 35 of this vintage in terms of damage, wear, upgrades, etc., in deciding whether to buy or keep looking. Bluewater is something I would love to do in the long run but is my lowest priority at the moment, since it would be at least a few years before I go anywhere (and maybe more than a few) and there's plenty of time between now and then to change boats if necessary.

I know those are extremely broad questions, but it seems like you guys have a great community and a lot of knowledge here, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

About me: My background is mostly racing, although I've done some cruising and a few deliveries. The longest I've lived on a boat was a few weeks for a summer program when I was in high school. The longest recently was a week cruising the BVI on a chartered Beneteau with some friends about a month ago. My longest passage was a weekend delivery from San Francisco to Long Beach on a Santa Cruz 50. The only boat I've ever owned is a Vanguard 15 (two person racing dinghy). I had some summer jobs as a rigger, sailmaker, sailing coach, and things like that before I went to law school and ended up in the real world. I have not yet had the pleasure of sailing an Ericson.

Edit: Sorry if this should be in the "Design and Function" forum instead of here. Like I said, I'm new...

Last edited:

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
They are a bit small for a 35 footer.
They are good beer can racers.
They are excellent ocean racers.
They are a bit small for blue water cruising.
They are a “jack of all trades boat”. They do every thing well but not perfect at anything.

They came in a tall rig or a standard rig.
In the 70s most came with a gas engine (atomic four) many have been upgraded to diesel.
The bulkheads are known to rot out due to deck leaks. Particularly the main bulkheads.
Original tanks rusted and leaked. Most have been replaced by now.
The deck is balsa core and most have some degree of rot.
Many masts have a lot of corrosion.
They came as tiller only or tiller AND wheel.
They came with CNG oven and stove. Compressed Natural Gas is very hard to find and expensive. You will want propane.

I didn’t know how to sail when I bought mine.
I bought it as a live aboard with a dream. That was 26 years ago.
Lived aboard for seven years. Quite nice until the little lady moved aboard. Then it got real small.

I’ve sailed her across the Pacific between Hawaii and San Francisco six times. Five times solo. Twice without an autopilot.
We have done Mexico in her Twice.
She lives in San Francisco Bay.

I have sailed and raced on many boats over the last twenty-six years. This is one of the all time great boats in my opinion.

But, they are old now so be prepared to do some work or pay to have it done.

Give me a call if you would like to talk.

Phil MacFarlane
E 35 MkII #184 Sail a Vie
650-483-7445

bigtyme805

Member III
Phil that was a great story of the 35 and to the point. I recently looked at a mid 70's 35 and many points you mentioned were right on. Know your accomplishments with your boat which are remarkable.

Hideaway

Love my Hideaway

I purchased a '77 E-35 MkII last Fall. Not much sailing experience, but this has been a great forcing factor to get my ASA classes complete and learn a little something about boat maintenance.

I love that boat. Well built, spacious cockpit with the wheel in back (and emergency tiller). Mine has a Yanmar 27 that was put in in 1995 which seems well suited for this size boat.

It's definitely not as beamy as a friend's 32' Islander. But it seems quick. I don't race her, but as my uncle says, "anytime there are two sailboats heading in the same direction, it's a race," and in a couple cases we've smoked others on the same course.

It's cool that this boat can be upgraded to head to bluewater, but for now, she has what I need for Bay sailing. I wouldn't consider living aboard Hideaway unless we ripped out the alcohol stove/oven for propane, but that's just me. Otherwise it could be doable.

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
I looked at several 35-II's and was very interested in purchasing one. They seem like a heck of a lot of boat for the buck. However, we were looking to live-aboard and they seemed a little too small for two people. But, whole families are living and cruising on even smaller boats, so it's all just a matter of personal preference.

There is a 35-II doing the Oregon Offshore race right now:

http://oregonoffshore.swiftsure.org/

Unfortunately, the race is turning into a bit of a drifter and Aja is in the back of the pack...

Mark

RedHerring

Member II
P.O. lived aboard my 35-2 for 10 years. I spent about a month on the boat so far, didn't feel lacking for space or amenities. In other words, it's certainly doable.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
She's solid

On Saturday I completed a 2 week harbor-hopping trip from Alameda, CA south and around Point Conception to Southern CA on my 79 E35-II. She felt solid.

Attachments

• IG_KS_Little_Scorpion_04082015.jpg
    IG_KS_Little_Scorpion_04082015.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 337

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Route to Southern CA on E35-II

Where did you stop along the way? I'm planning the same trip in the fall.

Averaged about 5.5 knots.

Alameda - Half Moon Bay: 6 hours on an ebb and 6-9 foot swells
Half Moon Bay - Santa Cruz: 10 hours with 7-10 foot swells
Santa Cruz - Monterey: 4 hours
Monterey - Morro Bay: 18 hours (cold overnight with departure from Monterey about 11:30am)
Morro Bay - Santa Barbara: 23 hours (departed Morro Bay at midnight a few hours after arrival. Cold.)
Santa Barbara - Little Scorpion Anchorage on Santa Cruz Island: 5 hours
Little Scorpion Anchorage to San Pedro: 14 hours

To be continued...

seabreeone

Member I
owning a 35

I own a 1978 35 Mark II. When I was shopping I had it narrowed down to the Ericson 35 II, The Ranger 33 or a islander 36. The Ericson needed the most work. Bulkheads were bad but repairable. Also had many other items. But after much research on the 3 boats. It was the Ericson. We love the boat and yes it is a narrow boat, but it has plenty of room for my wife and I. it is a tender boat due to shallow draft and narrow beam, it needs to be reefed when winds pick up a bit. But that is what makes sailing fun. I live in Southern Cal and with the light winds it is great for here and Mexico. This boat is not a "harbor queen"(Big wide and lots of storage for all the parties at the dock). It is not designed by a plastic surgeon. It has wood and lots of it, inside and out all that all that wood needs attention. It sure looks nice and warm on the inside. The 35 wants to be sailed and sailed fast. Update the electronics and a few other items extra water tank maybe? Solar panels and you will have a great boat, That you can sail anyplace you wish. I have had many complements on my boat. Every time somebody asks me what make and size boat I have. They all tell me Great Boat. I believe they are right.........Good Luck happy Sailing

swsail

Thanks, everyone! This is really helpful and certainly has me thinking more seriously about buying one of these. There are at least three on the market around here that I will try to take a look at. I'm still trying to figure out whether I can make the live-aboard logistics work, but this is all starting to feel a little more real.

For anyone local in the bay area, I'd be happy to buy a beer or three if you'd be interested in chatting about your experience with these boats in person sometime. Just send me an email or PM.

Phil - thanks for the great post and the offer to talk more. I'll try to follow up with you by phone soon.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Averaged about 5.5 knots.

Alameda - Half Moon Bay: 6 hours on an ebb and 6-9 foot swells
Half Moon Bay - Santa Cruz: 10 hours with 7-10 foot swells
Santa Cruz - Monterey: 4 hours
Monterey - Morro Bay: 18 hours (cold overnight with departure from Monterey about 11:30am)
Morro Bay - Santa Barbara: 23 hours (departed Morro Bay at midnight a few hours after arrival. Cold.)
Santa Barbara - Little Scorpion Anchorage on Santa Cruz Island: 5 hours
Little Scorpion Anchorage to San Pedro: 14 hours

To be continued...

Bravo Ignacio! Thanks for sharing some of the details. :clap::cheers:

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
E35

Very well put >> "They are a “jack of all trades boat”. They do every thing well but not perfect at anything."

The E35 is one of the classic Ercsons..through out the years.... I am holding out for a mid 80's E38-200
though.... just a bit more room and deminer ..... perfect for the Mrs & I .... looking for one that needs
a lot of cosmetic work.... cheers...:egrin: