• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Vs E29

Kevin K

Hi Everyone!
I already posted this a few days ago, but with the site issues it looks like it is gone.

I'm planning on buying a boat in the near future and was looking at this E27. The same yard has an E29 for around the same price because it needs some engine work. The 27 is great, but the prospect of the bigger boat for around the same price is pretty enticing.

Leaving aside maintenance needs for the time being, how do these two boats compare?

clip68

Hi Everyone!
I already posted this a few days ago, but with the site issues it looks like it is gone.

I'm planning on buying a boat in the near future and was looking at this E27. The same yard has an E29 for around the same price because it needs some engine work. The 27 is great, but the prospect of the bigger boat for around the same price is pretty enticing.

Leaving aside maintenance needs for the time being, how do these two boats compare?

I can't comment on the 27 but we absolutely love our 29. It sails well in the mildest of winds, is roomy and quite comfortable.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tell us about the E29 engine situation.

Are the boats listed? Post the links to the listings and perhaps folks will give opinions.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, or welcome back....

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
You will see the difference as to the room and better interior layout when you look at the boats. The V berth is one of the obvious differences in the boats, more room in the quarter berth. What is the problem with the engine on the 29 and is it an Atomic 4?

The A 4 is a simple engine, about like an old lawnmower engine other than it has water cooling and four cylinders.

I have two E-29s and love them one for the lake and one going to the Gulf Coast next spring.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
This is the same boat with the other thread about the A4? I can't really compare, because I haven't sailed an E27. But one of the things that sold me on the E29 (which was a definite "project") was the relatively spacious interior, compared to all of the other boats of similar size that I looked at. Just sit down on a settee and look around. Standing headroom throughout, big double quarter berth, huge cockpit. And still (barely) trailerable. But whether that's a selling point might come down to whether you are more interested in cruising or day-sailing.

e.g., the huge cockpit can be a negative factor in tight single-handing. At least on the tiller model with traveler on the transom, you can't actually reach the mainsheet controls from the helm position. It's made for a second person to sit in the back and pull the strings. An auto-tiller helps somewhat, but tends to be useless in "spirited" conditions. I suppose I need to learn to steer with the tiller flipped over backwards, but it hurts my brain. Sometimes, when it's all powered up, I just lock down the tiller and steer with the sheets.

Last edited:

missalot

Member II
I bought my 1970 E29 as my "first boat". The interior space compared to others was one of the selling points as others have mentioned. I did look at a couple E27s at that time. I have a mid-boom traveler and a tiller, single handed sailing is great. Like I mentioned, this was my "first boat", I lived on her for 2.5 years and still have her - over 27 years! I'm a little biased, but I think it is a great boat. The A4 is a great little engine. Well maintained, it will provide smooth reliable power.

bigtyme805

Member III
E27 versus E29

I have sailed on both boats and Owned the E27 for about 5 years. They both sail good and both are seaworthy. The E27 I sailed all the time and was a fun boat. The e29 was a boat delivery to MDR with Santa Ana winds blowing 55 miles per hour. Same time as the Malibu fire and she handled better than I expected. The E29 is a fine boat with that large size aft berth which makes it nice. Also more room in the V-berth.

The bottom line is the condition of the boat. That most likely will determine your decision. I read your post about the condition of the E29 and engine. I would stay away as there are too many variables. Be patient and look for something that is right for you. I promise you in the future you will want to be sailing then working on the boat most of the time.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Submarine, NOT

Tenders,

That other boat has finished first in the last seven races and corrected first in five of them. SHAKEDOWN has risen and is on her way to Pensacola FL this Thursday for six days of salt water. Last salt water trip she was under Mobile bay for eighteen days and I am still touching up and redoing things on her.

frick

Member III
E29

The 29 has more than 6.2 of standing headroom in the main cabin...
Nice. also the cockpit is just over 7 foot long.

Rick+