• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hull Water Intake

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hi sailor,
I followed the instructions and advice given by Mainsail on this wonderful site. http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

Here are my results. http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?183-seacock-replacement

Thank you for sharing that information Shelman. It looks like I am facing that project very soon. I recently noticed a lot of corrosion around both my Engine intake thru hull valve and Head intake thru hull valve. I talked to the Marine Mechanic who replaced them 13 years ago and he told me to take a wire brush to the valves to clean them up, then wipe them down with vinegar. He told me if the bronze looked pink or salmon colored I needed to do it sooner than later. Looks like I have electrolysis and my hull is not bonded. Well I cleaned them off yesterday and here are the photos. Does this look bad to you all? Is there any way to do this without hauling out?

Attachments

• Engine intake thru hull valve.jpg
    Engine intake thru hull valve.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 72
  • Head intake thru hull valve.jpg
    Head intake thru hull valve.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Through hull valves vs seacocks.

Jeff, If you plan to redo yours, I can't see any practical way to do it in the water. If you do so, I'm sure you'll replace with seacocks. A ball valve with tapered threads will jam within 2 threads at most, but then you know that already. Anybody in our neck of the woods headed to Catalina in the mid May time frame? Go for it son, Glyn

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would like to hear if anyone sees a developing problem in Jeff's photos, since they appear pretty normal to me.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I would like to hear if anyone sees a developing problem in Jeff's photos, since they appear pretty normal to me.

Jeff and Christian, I don't see anything that looks bad in the photos. I would however replace them at the next haul out. It is good insurance and cheaper than an emergency at sea. :nerd:

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff and Christian, I don't see anything that looks bad n the photos. I would however replace them at the next haul out. It is good insurance and cheaper than an emergency at sea. :nerd:

Thank you Glyn, Christian & Rick R. I appreciate your taking a look and giving me feedback. Sorry about highjacking the original thread here. I was going to do my own post and then I saw this when I logged on this morning and figured I would just add to it.

I did have the Yard take a look at the Engine thru hull valve when I hauled out in March of 2013, and they said it looked okay at that time. Hopefully I can wait a few more years because my bottom paint is still in very good shape. I am going to get my mechanic down to take a look soon.